MS in Cognitive Science
The MS Cognitive Science program is structured to allow students the flexibility to pursue a wide variety of research topics and to integrate methodologies and perspectives from different disciplines. In addition to a course that introduces students to the field of cognitive science, at least three course credits from each of the following areas are required: cognitive psychology, computer science/artificial intelligence, linguistics, neuroscience, and philosophy.
Three options for the master of science in cognitive science are available:
- Plan A: 10 thesis credits and 20 credits of coursework.
- Plan B: 24 credits of coursework and a Plan B project worth 6 credits.
- Plan C: Courses only, requiring 30 credits of coursework.
There are 2 application deadlines:
- October 1 is the deadline for entry into the spring semester.
- March 1 is the deadline for entry into the fall semester.
Application requirements summary
- Admission fee:
- $75 US citizens & permanent resident applicants
- $95 international applicants.
- Three letters of reference from your recommenders, including the evaluation forms. All recommenders must use the online Graduate Application system.
- Personal Statements #1 and #2 in the Graduate Application system. Be sure to include any research experience and publications in your Personal Statement #1.
- Unofficial transcripts or academic records should be uploaded directly to the online application. International students should also upload an English translation if the transcript is not in English. Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts, there is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review. If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of this material.
- GRE - Graduate Record Examination instructions
- English Language Proficiency Examination. If your first language is not English, visit:
You may save your application without submitting at any point and come back to it later. However, the application cannot be edited or changed once submitted.