The Department of Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences is located in Shevlin Hall on the East Bank campus of the University of Minnesota. For more information about parking rates and locations, please contact Parking and Transportation Services online or by phone at 612-626-7252.
8:00 AM – 4:30 PM
115 Shevlin Hall
Campus Delivery Code 4401A
164 Pillsbury Dr. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
See a list of our department administration and support staff.
Alice Shevlin Hall was constructed in 1906 on the site of Old Main, the first building on campus. Old Main was built in 1885 and was destroyed by fire in 1904. The construction was made possible by a donation of $60,000 by Thomas Shevlin in honor of his wife. The building was executed in the Renaissance Revival mode according to designs by Minneapolis architect Ernest Kennedy.
Shevlin Hall opened in December 1905 as a building designed to house women's groups. Soon after Shevlin Hall opened in 1906, men at the University began to organize for a place of their own, which led to the creation of the Minnesota Union in 1908.
Shevlin Hall is a contributing building to the University's Old Campus Historic District, which is designated by the National Register of Historic Places.
Shevlin Hall is on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the University of Minnesota Old Campus District. It currently houses the Department of Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences and the Julia M. Davis Speech-Language-Hearing Center and is equipped with modern classrooms and technology. This clinic is named in honor of Dr. Julia M. Davis, professor emerita.