What Can I Do With a Major In Religious Studies?
explore majors and careers!
Career Counselor Liasion
Religious Studies Major
Get career help or schedule
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about religious studies major. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and religious studies majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include strong cultural knowledge and understanding of world religions, ability to work well with diverse groups, verbal and written communication skills, and listening, clarifying, questioning and responding skills.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "SAI" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- HECUA internship program
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- USA Jobs
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- American Academy of Religion
- Association for the Study of Religion, Economics, and Culture
- International Association for the History of Religions
- North American Association for the Study of Religion
- Religious Education Association
- Religious Research Association
- Society for the Scientific Study of Religion
- MA, Philosophy and Religious Studies, Harvard University
- PhD, Anthropology, Texas A&M University
- MA, University of Chicago Divinity School
- PhD, University of Chicago Divinity School
- M.Div, Harvard University Divinity School
- MA, Religious Studies, McMaster University
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!