James A Parente Jr
German, Scandinavian and Dutch
9 Pleasant Street SE
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Yale University.
- Renaissance, Reformation, and Baroque literature and culture
- Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque Latin literature and culture
- German, Netherlandic, Scandinavian literature and culture
- German 8210 - Seminar on Early Modern German Literature
- German 3511- German Culture and Civilization, Middle Ages-1700
Research & Professional Activities
- Dean: College of Liberal Arts , 2008 - 2013
- Interim Dean: College of Liberal Arts , 2007 - 2008
- Associate Dean: Faculty and Research, College of Liberal Arts , 2000 - 2007
- Chair: Department of German, Scandinavian and Dutch , 1998 - 2000
- Acting Director: Institute of Linguistics, ESL, Asian and Slavic Languages and Literatures , 1996 - 1997
- Editorial Board: Studies in Dutch Language and Culture , 2006 - present
- Editorial Advisory Board: Renaissance Quarterly , 2006 - 2009
- Executive Council: American Association for Netherlandic Studies , 2002 - 2005
- President: Society for German Renaissance and Baroque Literature , 1990 - 1991
- Executive Committee: MLA Division for German Literature before 1700 , 1989 - 1993
- Renaissance Latin literature in the German Empire, the Netherlands, and Scandinavia :
- Medieval & early modern national identity: Germany and Netherlands:
- German, Netherlandic, and Scandinavian drama :
- Parente, James Andrew, Bloemendal, Jan. "The Humanist Tradition--Maria Stuart (1646)." Joost van den Vondel (1587-1679): Dutch Playwright in the Golden Age (2012): 341-358.
- Parente, James Andrew. "Imagining the Dutch Golden Age in Anglo-American Fiction." From De Halve Maen to KLM: 400 Years of Dutch-American Exchange (2008): 413-424.
- Tragoedia Politica: Strasbourg School Drama and the Early Modern State, 1583-1621. Parente, James, 1996.
- Carnal Knowledge: Writing about Sex in Early Modern Germany. Parente, James, 1996.
- The Theatricality of History in the Dutch Golden Age. Parente, James, London: Centre for Low Countries Studies, 1993.
- Parente, James Andrew, Schade, Richard, Schoolfield, George. Literary Culture in the Holy Roman Empire, 1555-1720. University of North Carolina Press, 1991.
- Religious Drama and the Humanist Tradition: Christian Theater in Germany and the Netherlands, 1500-1680. Parente, James, Leiden: Brill, 1987.
- Visiting Member, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Historical Studies, Princeton, NJ, 1989 - 1990
- University Scholar, University of Illinois, 1989 - 1992
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship, 1984 - 1985