Graduate Diversity Recruitment Event
Revisit this site at a later date for information on the 2022 event.
Thank you for your interest in the Graduate Diversity Recruitment Weekend! The Departments of Anthropology and of Geography, Environment & Society are pleased to host this event each fall. We hope to offer this event again in Fall 2022.
The Graduate Diversity Recruitment Event is designed for students who are historically underrepresented in Anthropology and GES graduate programs and who are interested in learning about graduate training in these departments at the University of Minnesota. This program will feature a coordinated set of formal and informal experiences designed to familiarize participants with strategies for constructing successful graduate school applications and to provide them with the opportunity to learn more about the experience of graduate education in our departments.
Individuals who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the fall 2021 event:
- Students who are enrolled in a college or university as a junior or senior, or who have graduated within the last two years (i.e., 2019 or thereafter). Students currently enrolled in a terminal master's-level graduate program also are eligible.
- Students who identify as a member of groups historically underrepresented in graduate training in these fields, including members of ethnic and racial minority groups, especially Black, Indigenous, Latinx and other minoritized students, and participants who are low-income, first-generation college students. This event is directed at students who are historically underrepresented and/or marginalized groups within higher education.
- Both US citizens and international students are eligible and welcome to apply.
- Students who are committed to pursuing graduate training through either:
- the Department of Anthropology in one of our programs of research: Anthropological Archaeology, Biological Anthropology, or Socio-cultural Anthropology, or
- the Department of Geography, Environment and Society in one of our programs of research: Biophysical Geography and Climatology, Geographic Information Science (GIS) or Human Geography.
Interested individuals who are eligible to apply for this opportunity to visit the University in the fall of 2021, are required to provide the following information and materials:
- Completed Online Application form. Please note that this application may require you to sign in to your Google account to complete. If you do not have a Google account, please contact email@example.com to obtain individual access to the form that does not require a Google account.
- In addition to completing the online application, you must send the following materials electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- personal statement (see Graduate Diversity Recruitment Weekend Application Personal Statement Guidelines);
- copy of the applicant’s transcripts (an unofficial copy will suffice);
- copy of the applicant’s curriculum vitae or resumé.
- A brief statement from a faculty member familiar with the applicant must also be sent. This can be sent via Google form: Faculty Recommendation.
The deadline for receipt of these materials is August 31, 2021. Priority review will be given to applications received by this date. Applications will be reviewed over the following weeks and selection notifications will be sent in mid-August.
Applicants are encouraged to review the graduate program areas, including faculty profiles, prior to submitting their applications. More information about these departments can be found:
- Department of Anthropology Diversity & Inclusion
- Department of Geography, Environment and Society Diversity & Inclusion
Please contact us at email@example.com.