Graduate Diversity Recruitment Event
Join us September 21-23, 2022
Thank you for your interest in the Graduate Diversity Recruitment Event! The Departments of Anthropology and of Geography, Environment & Society are pleased to announce this event scheduled for September 21-23, 2022. This event is tentatively planned to be in-person this year, to take place on the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities campus. However, it may be moved to a virtual format if the need arises.
The Graduate Diversity Recruitment Event is designed for individuals who are historically underrepresented in Anthropology and GES graduate programs and who are interested in learning about graduate training in these departments at the University of Minnesota. This program will feature a coordinated set of formal and informal experiences designed to familiarize participants with strategies for constructing successful graduate school applications and to provide them with the opportunity to learn more about the experience of graduate education in our departments.
View the Department of Anthropology's Diversity Statement and Diversity and Inclusion Research for more information; as well as links to relevant Twin Cities and University resources.
Individuals who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the fall 2022 event:
- Students who are enrolled in a college or university as a junior or senior, or who have graduated within the last two years (i.e., 2020 or thereafter). Individuals currently enrolled in a terminal master's-level graduate program also are eligible.
- US-based students who identify as a member of groups historically underrepresented in graduate training in these fields, including members of ethnic and racial minority groups, especially Black, Indigenous, Latinx and other minoritized students, and participants who are low-income, first-generation college students. This event is directed at students who are historically underrepresented and/or marginalized groups within higher education.
- Students who are interested in pursuing graduate training through either:
- the Department of Anthropology in one of our programs of research: Anthropological Archaeology, Biological Anthropology, or Socio-cultural Anthropology, or
- the Department of Geography, Environment & Society in one of our programs of research: Biophysical Geography and Climatology, Geographic Information Science (GIS) or Human Geography.
If the event proceeds in person, the costs of transportation and lodging will be covered for applicants selected to participate in this program. Interested individuals who are eligible to apply for this opportunity to visit the University on September 21-23, 2022, are required to provide the following information and materials:
- Completed Online Application form. Please note that this application may require you to sign in to your Google account to complete. If you do not have a Google account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain individual access to the form that does not require a Google account.
- In addition to completing the online application, you must send the following materials electronically to email@example.com:
- personal statement (see Graduate Diversity Recruitment Event Application Personal Statement Guidelines);
- copy of the applicant’s transcripts (an unofficial copy will suffice);
- copy of the applicant’s curriculum vitae or resumé.
- A brief statement from a faculty member familiar with the applicant must also be sent. This can be sent via Google form: Faculty Recommendation.
The deadline for receipt of these materials is July 31, 2022. Priority review will be given to applications received by this date. Applications will be reviewed over the following weeks and selection notifications will be sent in mid-August.
Applicants are encouraged to review the graduate program areas, including faculty profiles, prior to submitting their applications. More information about these departments can be found:
- Department of Anthropology Diversity & Inclusion
- Department of Geography, Environment and Society Diversity & Inclusion
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.