The Language Center’s mission involves “promoting research on educational technology, second language acquisition, and related disciplines.” As such, Language Center facilities and staff are available to support and contribute to research projects investigating all areas related to second language acquisition, including applications of technology.
Applied Linguistics Scholarship (APPLS) Group
Co-hosted by the Language Center and CARLA, the group seeks to unite researchers in applied linguistics (language pedagogy, second language acquisition, and sociolinguistics) in the context of a monthly hands-on research group workshop. Meetings are held during the academic year. The meetings are open to graduate students, instructors, faculty and staff in all units. They are a safe and supportive space for researchers to workshop articles and practice for upcoming presentations.
A light and social lunch is provided at all meetings. Please contact Amanda Dalola at email@example.com to request to join the group.
Research may involve a number of initiatives underway in the Language Center, including, but not limited to:
- Remote and online language teaching and learning
- Technology use for language instruction at a distance through BigTen Courseshare
- Technology-mediated conferencing for language and culture exchange through the TandemPlus program
- Proficiency development through data collected as part of the PACE project
- Development of Advanced-level proficiency in traditional upper-division content courses
- Curriculum design and delivery
Opportunities and Resources
Language Center staff are available for consultation regarding:
- Research project design and implementation
- Conference proposals and presentations
- Language Center resources
For more information about conducting research through the Language Center, please visit the Conducting LC-Supported Research webpage.
LC Research Bibliography
This bibliography documents research work undertaken using Language Center resources and includes publications, conference presentations, and workshops.