University of Minnesota Psychology Distinguished Alumni Awards
Call for Nominations
We are pleased to invite nominations for the University of Minnesota Psychology Distinguished Alumni Award. We made our first awards in the 2017-18 academic year, and the awards program is now entering its third year. We anticipate making two awards in 2020 (and annually thereafter).
The two awards honor distinguished alumni from our undergraduate and graduate programs, respectively. Nominations should include:
- A 1-2 page nomination letter that includes a brief description of the candidate's background, accomplishments, and why the candidate deserves the award
- The candidate's resumé or CV (if available; this is optional)
Nominations will be reviewed by our department’s Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee, who will forward recommendations to the department chair. Winners will be announced early in 2020 and be invited to a ceremony to receive the award in the spring. They will have the opportunity to meet with department faculty and students. In addition, the awards will be publicized throughout the University and its various social media channels and will be commemorated within the department.
Selection Criteria for the Awards
- The awards will recognize distinguished achievement, in the many and varied forms that achievement may take, among our alumni.
- For some alumni, especially our PhD alumni, the awards may recognize distinguished achievements in research and scholarship, whether in academic or non-academic settings.
- For other alumni, both undergraduate and graduate, the awards may recognize distinguished achievements and/or leadership in their chosen professions, as well as notable humanitarian efforts.
- The criteria for these awards will be inclusive, capturing the diversity of distinguished achievements possible by individuals educated in our department.
- Priority will be given to individuals who are not currently appointed at the University of Minnesota.
- This award program is not designed to align with fundraising goals, although department donors may be nominated.
- Self-nominations are discouraged.
Submitting a Nomination
Nomination materials should be submitted to the department chair, Professor Jeffry Simpson, through his assistant, Missy Jones, using the email address for awards nominations: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations may also be submitted by postal mail to Professor Jeffry Simpson, Chair, Department of Psychology, University of Minnesota, 75 East River Parkway, Minneapolis, MN 55455