For more information specific to studying
Spanish and Portuguese abroad, see our
Learning Abroad Center page.
For general information on programs,
advising, financial aid, scholarships,
policies, and application materials,
please visit the Learning Abroad Center.
The department strongly encourages all majors and minors to study abroad in a Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking country or territory in order to enhance their linguistic and cultural competency. More than half of all Spanish studies majors study abroad for at least a semester, many of them taking advantage of department-approved programs in Spain, Mexico, and Argentina. Spanish studies students also study in Puerto Rico through the National Student Exchange program. Students in the combined major are encouraged to take advantage of opportunities in Coimbra, Portugal or in São Paulo or Salvador, Brazil.
An ideal time to plan for study abroad is in the early stages of the 3xxx-level courses, returning to campus thereafter to take several advanced electives with departmental faculty in culmination of the major. Please see a department adviser for information on transferring credit from study abroad.
Study Abroad Appointment
In order for us to best help you, please be prepared for your study abroad planning appointment by bringing the following to your appointment:
- a list of questions you would like discussed
- an idea of where/when you may want to study abroad
- if possible, a list of classes you may be interested in taking while abroad so the advisers can discuss the possibilities of whether or not the classes could work towards your major or minor
- completed Academic Planning Form for advisor approval, if required by your preferred study abroad program
-Jenna, Spanish & Portuguese studies
-Chalena, Spanish studies
Spanish and Portuguese Studies Study Abroad Scholarship
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies invites current undergraduate majors pursuing Spanish Studies or Spanish-Portuguese Studies to apply for a scholarship to be used for Study Abroad during the 2019-2020 academic year (no less than one semester). One scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $4,000 and the recipient will be announced at the end of spring semester.
- Current majors
- Must have completed or be registered in SPAN 3015 or Port 3003 at time of application
- Overall GPA 3.0; Spanish or Portuguese GPA 3.5
- No previous study abroad experience at the university level
- Unofficial transcript
- Letter of recommendation from Spanish or Portuguese instructor at the 3000-level
- Resume/activity report
- Demonstrate applicant’s engagement with Spanish or Portuguese language studies
- Application essay (maximum 500 words) to include description of
- applicant’s engagement with Spanish or Portuguese language studies
- academic and long term goals
- where you plan to go and how that program will help accomplish these goals
Submission of Application: contact email@example.com for information on the application process
Application Deadline: Friday, April 15th, 2019
For further information, contact Maryanne or Mattia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help raise funds for future Study Abroad Scholarships, the recipient will be required to submit a short essay (approximately 500 words) regarding the study abroad experience.