Tutor Lab, Writing Center & Conversation Hours
Update: Due to the recent transition of all University wide classes being offered online only, the Tutor Lab hours will also be offered via online mode only for Spring 2021 Semester. Tutor Lab drop-ins will be held via Zoom during specific times. Students must have either installed the Zoom for Meetings Desktop App or the Zoom Mobile App in order to attend drop-in hours.
Tutor Lab and Language Level Conversation Hours
For Spring 2021, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies offers a free tutoring service to all students enrolled in 1xxx-level language courses. The service includes three options to support your Spanish learning needs.
- Conversation hours Topic related for 1xxx level students. Sign-up for a 20-minute session to talk about your studies, the University of Minnesota, and more with up to 4 other students and a Spanish instructors
- SPAN 1022 grammar review. Bring your questions about the present tense, adjectives, ser, or possessive adjectives and a Spanish instructor will be there to answer them or guide you through some practice exercises from the book. Sign-up here for a 20-minute session.
- SPAN 1003 & SPAN 1004 course specific tutor lab. Bring your questions related to your class and a Spanish instructor will be there to answer them or guide you through some practice exercises from the book. Sign-up here for a 20-minute session.
- Open, drop-in hours. No reservations needed. Bring questions from your homework assignments or about what you’re learning in class, and a Spanish instructor will help you find answers. During Tutor lab drop-in hours, go to our Zoom site and enter the waiting room.
Spring 2021 Tutor Lab Schedule :
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday 9:00-10:00 Conversation Hours Tutor Lab 1003 10:00-11:00 Tutor Lab 1022 Conversation Hours Port Tutor Lab Drop In's 11:00-12:00 12:00-1:00 Tutor Lab 1004 Tutor Lab 1022 Drop in Tutor Lab 1:00-2:00 Drop In Tutor Lab Tutor Lab 1003 Conversation Hours 2:00-3:00 Conversation Hours Conversation Hours 3:00-4:00 Conversation Hours
Tutor Lab is available starting Monday January 25th to Friday May 7th, 2021.
During Tutor lab drop-in hours, go to our Appointment Calendar and either make an appointment or enter the waiting room. An instructor will meet with students in order of how they entered the waiting room.
If you have any additional questions, please contact email@example.com.
Guidelines for Walk-in Tutoring Hours:
Only Spanish assignments can be printed in the tutor lab and students must pay for their printed work. The only payment method accepted is Gopher Gold. Due to the automated system, if you do not have your card, it is impossible to print.
- Remember that it is very important for you to rely on both your textbooks and your instructors. Tutors may help you find ways to make the most of your textbooks and your instructors.
- Before you visit the lab, first use your textbooks, then the dictionary and other resource materials to answer your own questions. Tutors may help you with the relevant sections in your assignments.
- University policy clearly states that reasonable accommodations must be made for students with documented disabilities.
Since each course has separate guidelines, please identify your essay task or clarify your assignment when you work with a tutor.
Tutors will guide you to reformulate your own text or perform your own grammar corrections.
You, rather than the tutor, must author the essay text. This means that tutors will limit their assistance to suggestions that guide you in writing and help you use level-appropriate language, rather than correcting each individual error in an essay.
- Help students discover the questions they need to ask to complete their assignments.
- Guide students in isolating areas that need work on exercises and essays.
- Show students how to find the information to complete assignments, starting first with their textbooks.
- Help students learn to use the target language.
- Spend more than approximately 20 minutes with a single student. Students can hire tutors for longer sessions on our tutor and translator list page. Students are encouraged to return for follow-up questions once they have had time to absorb the material.
- Walk students through entire homework assignments.
- Proofread anything.
- Spend time dispensing genders and verb conjugations.
Spanish Writing CenterWriting Center
217B Folwell Hall
9 Pleasant St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Mandy R. Menke
Online Appointment Hours
Helpful Writing Resources
Update: Due to the recent transition of all University wide classes being offered online only, the Writing Center hours will also be offered via online mode only for Spring 2021 Semester. Please see appointment hours on the right hand side. If you have any additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The Spanish Writing Center is dedicated to helping Spanish students become better communicators by engaging students in the process of crafting a written essay. The center's objective is to empower students with strategies for writing in Spanish through a process of organizing, drafting, and revising their analytical ideas. We aspire to unite students who desire to be proficient and creative writers in a community with instructors and faculty.
We serve the analytical and critical needs of students in upper-division (3xxx-level) composition, literature, culture, and linguistic classes helping them to overcome some of the difficulties of writing in a second language.
Writing Center Activities
How to make an appointment
- INDIVIDUAL APPOINTMENT: Schedule an appointment by visiting the Writing Center or scheduling your appointment through Writing Center’s Google calendar. Sessions are limited to 40 minutes (or up to 50 minutes for senior seminar students).
- ONLINE CONSULTATION: Schedule an appointment through the Writing Center’s Google calendar for online consultation. Then send your paper to firstname.lastname@example.org the Wednesday (if possible) before your Friday consultation. In your e-mail, please include the course information, your college (CLA, CEHD, etc.), whether you are a Spanish major or minor a description of the assignment and a full explanation of what you want the consultant to help you with.
- A-SYNCHRONOUS APPOINTMENT: We now offer the option to select an online appointment, without needing to attend the Writing Center Consultation appointment. There are three weekly appointment options, Monday's 9:00-10:00 am, and Wednesdays/Fridays 1:00-2:00pm. Select the appointment slot, and make sure to send your paper to the Writing Consultant prior to the appointment. Anticipate receiving feedback on your paper, at the end of the A-synchronous slot.
- WALK-INS: Stop by the Writing Center in 217B without an appointment (see schedule above). Sessions are limited to 20 minutes. (Not Applicable for Spring 2021 Semester).
Spring 2021 Schedule - The Writing Center will be open starting Monday January 25th, 2021. The last day of appointments will be Monday May 10th, 2021.
What We Can Do
- Read part of the paper depending on your needs, goals, or the time available.
- Discuss what works and what doesn't work in the paper.
- Explain grammar depending on your needs.
- Help you discover the questions you need to ask in order to complete your assignment.
What We Are Unable to Do
- Write the paper for you
- Tweak a particular document to perfection
- Edit or correct mechanical glitches.
- Work on papers that are not part of your course assignments
What to Bring to a Consultation
- A concrete sense of the assignment. What does the professor expect? A copy of the assignment would be very helpful.
- A copy of your paper. What stage of writing are you in?
- Your own goals for the consultation. What kind of help do you really want?
- Specific questions for the Writing Consultant. What aspects or sections of your paper need attention?
What to Expect
- We will talk with you about the objectives of your essay and how you might more successfully fulfill those objectives. The process of becoming a better writer is not achieved through writing consultants simply correcting your errors. We will point out general problem areas in grammar, structure, and development as well as providing strategies for proofreading more effectively. You will practice skills that will improve your long-term writing ability
- Expect us to ask you to identify areas that have been most troublesome in reaching your writing goals and what you hope to accomplish with your writing consultation. Asking questions to get you to think about your paper may be more rewarding that reviewing each line that you have already written
- We may read all or only part of your paper, depending your needs, goals, and the time available
The Spanish Writing Center is staffed by advanced graduate assistants and with experience teaching upper level Spanish courses and a strong dedication to the undergraduate education program.
Upper Level (Span 3xxx) Conversation Hours
For Spring 2021, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies offers a free Conversation Hour Service to all students enrolled in 3xxx-level Spanish courses. You will be registering with up to three other students and one instructor. There is no homework needed to attend, but we do ask to go to the Conversation hour Session with at least two questions that you are planning to ask other students in the session.
If you are interested in registering for conversation hours, please do so at our Calendar page. You will need to register for an appointment slot in order to attend.
Conversation Hours are available starting Monday February 1st, to Friday May 7th, 2021.
Spring 2021 Conversation Hour Schedule
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday 9:00-10:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour Conversation Hour Conversation Hour 10:00-11:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour 11:00-12:00 Conversation Hour 12:00-1:00 Conversation Hour 1:00-2:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour 2:00-3:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour 3:00-4:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour Conversation Hour
If you have any questions or concerns regarding conversation hours, please contact Megan DeLaCruz, the Undergraduate Assistant with the Spanish and Portuguese Department at email@example.com.
Bate-papo - Portuguese Conversation Group
Portuguese speakers and learners at all skill levels are welcome, and feel free to join even if you’ve never spoken Portuguese before or even if you’ve spoken it for years. The bate-papo is informal, and you can feel free to drop in for just a portion of the 45 minutes. This event is hosted by Sophia Beal and is open to the entire UMN community.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 979 8394 6559