Scholarships & Grants
Spanish and Portuguese Studies Study Abroad Scholarship
We are pleased to offer one $4000 scholarship to a current major who plans to study abroad in the 2021-2022 academic year (no less than one semester). Eligible students must be pursuing a major in Spanish Studies or Spanish/Portuguese Studies, have completed or are currently taking SPAN 3015w or PORT 3003, have an overall GPA of 3.0 and a major GPA of 3.5. The scholarship is to be used for study in a Spanish or Portuguese speaking country or territory. The scholarship recipient must take a minimum of 8 credits in Spanish or Portuguese (or related language through approved exception by the advising office) while abroad.
Preference will be given to those who have not studied abroad at the university level.
- Current Spanish Studies or Spanish/Portuguese Studies major
- Must have completed or currently taking SPAN 3015w, SPAN 3019w, or PORT 3003 at time of application
- Overall GPA 3.00, Spanish or Portuguese GPA 3.5
Required application materials
- Unofficial transcript
- Letter of recommendation from a Spanish or Portuguese instructor at the 3000 level
- Resume/activity report
- Demonstrate applicant’s engagement with Spanish or Portuguese language studies
- Application essay (maximum 500 words) to include a description of
- Academic and long-term goals
- Where you plan to study abroad and how that program will help accomplish those goals
Submission of application
- E-mail the application form, letter of recommendation, essay, resume/activity report, and unofficial transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact email@example.com for the application form
Application deadline: Wednesday, May 5th, 2021
For further information, contact Maryanne or Mattia at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help raise funds for future Study Abroad Scholarships, the recipient will be required to submit a short essay (approximately 500 words) regarding the study abroad experience.
Portuguese FLAS Scholarship
Portuguese studies students can apply for FLAS Fellowships, which provide up to $10,000 toward tuition and fees at the U or up to $5,000 for traveling abroad to Brazil or Portugal for intensive language study during the summer. University of Minnesota students have a phenomenal track record for winning these prestigious fellowships. This opportunity is only available for Portuguese studies students.
CLA and University Scholarships
As a department in the College of Liberal Arts (CLA), the Department of Spanish & Portuguese encourages its students to apply for scholarships available to all CLA students. See CLA's Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information.
Students who are participating in unpaid internships are encouraged to apply for the CLA Undergraduate Internship Scholarship. These are $1,500 internship scholarships that are specifically designated for CLA undergraduate students who are currently working unpaid internships.
One Stop Scholarship provides links to the Undergraduate Scholarship Search tool. Students in the University of Minnesota Honors Program may also be eligible for national and international scholarships.