Scholarships & Grants
Department Study Abroad Scholarship
The Department of Spanish & Portuguese Studies invites current undergraduate majors pursuing Spanish studies or Spanish-Portuguese studies to apply for a scholarship to be used for study abroad during the upcoming academic year (no less than one semester). One scholarships will be awarded in the amount of $4,000 and the recipient will be announced at the end of spring semester.
- Current majors
- Must have completed or be registered in SPAN 3015 or PORT 3003 at time of application
- Overall GPA of 3.0; Spanish or Portuguese GPA of 3.5
- No previous study abroad experience at the university level
- Unofficial transcript
- Letter of recommendation from Spanish or Portuguese instructor at the 3000-level
- Application essay (maximum 500 words) to include description of:
- Applicant’s engagement with Spanish or Portuguese language studies
- Departmental involvement
- Academic and long term goals
- Location of study abroad and how that program will help accomplish these goals
Submission of Application:
- Complete the application submission form. Include your application essay in submission form
- Submit letter of recommendation and unofficial transcript to email@example.com
Application Deadline: Friday, April 15, 2016
For further information, contact Adriana or Maryanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help raise funds for future Study Abroad Scholarships, the recipient will be required to submit a short essay (approximately 500 words) regarding the study abroad experience.
Portuguese FLAS Scholarship
Portuguese studies students can apply for FLAS Fellowships, which provide up to $10,000 toward tuition and fees at the U or up to $5,000 for traveling abroad to Brazil or Portugal for intensive language study during the summer. University of Minnesota students have a phenomenal track record for winning these prestigious fellowships. This opportunity is only available for Portuguese studies students.
CLA and University Scholarships
As a department in the College of Liberal Arts (CLA), the Department of Spanish & Portuguese encourages its students to apply for scholarships available to all CLA students. See CLA's Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information.
Students who are participating in unpaid internships are encouraged to apply for the CLA Undergraduate Internship Scholarship. These are $1,500 internship scholarships that are specifically designated for CLA undergraduate students who are currently working unpaid internships.
One Stop Scholarship provides links to the Undergraduate Scholarship Search tool. Students in the University of Minnesota Honors Program may also be eligible for national and international scholarships.