Spanish Writing Center
217B Folwell Hall
9 Pleasant St. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Mandy R. Menke
Online Appointment Hours
Helpful Writing Resources
Update: Due to the recent transition of all University wide classes being offered online only, the Writing Center hours will also be offered via online mode only for Spring 2021 Semester. Please see appointment hours on the right hand side. If you have any additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The Spanish Writing Center is dedicated to helping Spanish students become better communicators by engaging students in the process of crafting a written essay. The center's objective is to empower students with strategies for writing in Spanish through a process of organizing, drafting, and revising their analytical ideas. We aspire to unite students who desire to be proficient and creative writers in a community with instructors and faculty.
We serve the analytical and critical needs of students in upper-division (3xxx-level) composition, literature, culture, and linguistic classes helping them to overcome some of the difficulties of writing in a second language.
Writing Center Activities
How to make an appointment
- INDIVIDUAL APPOINTMENT: Schedule an appointment by visiting the Writing Center or scheduling your appointment through Writing Center’s Google calendar. Sessions are limited to 40 minutes (or up to 50 minutes for senior seminar students).
- ONLINE CONSULTATION: Schedule an appointment through the Writing Center’s Google calendar for online consultation. Then send your paper to firstname.lastname@example.org the Wednesday (if possible) before your Friday consultation. In your e-mail, please include the course information, your college (CLA, CEHD, etc.), whether you are a Spanish major or minor a description of the assignment and a full explanation of what you want the consultant to help you with.
- A-SYNCHRONOUS APPOINTMENT: We now offer the option to select an online appointment, without needing to attend the Writing Center Consultation appointment. There are three weekly appointment options, Monday's 9:00-10:00 am, and Wednesdays/Fridays 1:00-2:00pm. Select the appointment slot, and make sure to send your paper to the Writing Consultant prior to the appointment. Anticipate receiving feedback on your paper, at the end of the A-synchronous slot.
- WALK-INS: Stop by the Writing Center in 217B without an appointment (see schedule above). Sessions are limited to 20 minutes. (Not Applicable for Spring 2021 Semester).
Spring 2021 Schedule - The Writing Center will be open starting Monday January 25th, 2021. The last day of appointments will be Monday May 10th, 2021.
What We Can Do
- Read part of the paper depending on your needs, goals, or the time available.
- Discuss what works and what doesn't work in the paper.
- Explain grammar depending on your needs.
- Help you discover the questions you need to ask in order to complete your assignment.
What We Are Unable to Do
- Write the paper for you
- Tweak a particular document to perfection
- Edit or correct mechanical glitches.
- Work on papers that are not part of your course assignments
What to Bring to a Consultation
- A concrete sense of the assignment. What does the professor expect? A copy of the assignment would be very helpful.
- A copy of your paper. What stage of writing are you in?
- Your own goals for the consultation. What kind of help do you really want?
- Specific questions for the Writing Consultant. What aspects or sections of your paper need attention?
What to Expect
- We will talk with you about the objectives of your essay and how you might more successfully fulfill those objectives. The process of becoming a better writer is not achieved through writing consultants simply correcting your errors. We will point out general problem areas in grammar, structure, and development as well as providing strategies for proofreading more effectively. You will practice skills that will improve your long-term writing ability
- Expect us to ask you to identify areas that have been most troublesome in reaching your writing goals and what you hope to accomplish with your writing consultation. Asking questions to get you to think about your paper may be more rewarding that reviewing each line that you have already written
- We may read all or only part of your paper, depending your needs, goals, and the time available
The Spanish Writing Center is staffed by advanced graduate assistants and with experience teaching upper level Spanish courses and a strong dedication to the undergraduate education program.