Prof Yanjie Bian
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Sociology, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York, 1990.
- M.A. : Sociology, Nankai University, China, 1984.
- B.A: Philosophy, Nankai University, China, 1982.
- Economic Sociology
- Social Networks
- Social Stratification
- Chinese Society
- FSEM 1904 - Chinese Society
- Soc 3090 - Topics: Chinese Society: Culture, Networks, & Inequality
- Soc 3201 - Inequality: Introduction to Stratification
- Soc 3421 - Sociology of Work: Good Jobs, Bad Jobs, No Jobs?
- Soc 3811 - Basic Social Statistics
- Soc 5811 - Intermediate Social Statistics
- Soc 8201 - Social Stratification & Mobility
- Soc 8290 - Topics: Social Stratification
Research & Professional Activities
- Guanxi-based corporate social capital; Social networks and jobs in Chinese cities; Institutional change and social mobility in post-Mao China
- Guanxi: How China Works.. 2019. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press.
- Social Capital, Social Support, and Stratification: An Analysis of the Sociology of Nan Lin. 2019. Edited with Ronald S. Burt, Lijun Song, and Nan Lin. UK: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- "Social Networks and Subjective Wellbeing in Australia: New Evidence from a National Survey," with Xianbi Huang, Mark Western, et al. 2019. Sociology 53(2):401-421.
- "Local Embeddedness, Corporate Social Capital, and Chinese Enterprises: The Case of Shaanxi FDI Firms," with Juan Xie, Yang Yang, and Mingsong Hao. 2018. Chinese Management Studies 13(4):860-876.
- "Social Networks and Subjective Well-being: A Comparison of Australia, Britain, and China," with Mingsong Hao and Yaojun Li. 2018. Journal of Happiness Studies 19(8):2489-2508.
- "The Prevalence and the Increasing Significance of Guanxi.” 2018. The China Quarterly DOI 10/1017/S0305741018000541.
- "The Causal Effect of Social Capital on Income: A New Analytic Strategy,” with Jing Shen. 2018. Social Networks 54:82-90.
- "More of Less Guanxi: Trust is 60% Network Context, 10% Individual Difference,” with Ronald S. Burt and Sonja Opper. 2018. Social Networks 54:12-25.
- "The Comparative Significance of Guanxi.” 2017. Management and Organization Review 13(2):261-267.
- "The Influence of Hukou and College Education in China’s Labour Market,” with Yang Xiao. 2017. Urban Studies 55(7):1504-1524.
- "Subjective Wellbeing of Chinese People: A Multifaceted View," with Lei Zhang, Jianke Yang, Xiaoxian Guo, and Ming Lei. 2015. Social Indicators Research 121(1):75-92.
- "Information and Favoritism: The Network Effect on Wage Income in China," with Xianbi Huang and Lei Zhang. 2015. Social Networks 40:129-138.
- "Beyond the Strength of Social Ties: Job Search Networks and Entry-Level Wage in Urban China,” with Xianbi Huang. 2015. American Behavioral Scientist 59(8):961-976.
- "The Guanxi Influence on Occupational Attainment in Urban China,” with Xianbi Huang. 2015. Chinese Journal of Sociology 1(3):307-332.
- "Felt-Suffering in China," with Jing Shen. 2014. Pp. 187-202 in World Suffering and Quality of Life. Edited by Ronald E. Anderson. NY: Springer.
- "East Asian Social Networks," with Ken’ichi Ikeda. 2014. Pp. 417-433 in Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining. Edited by Reda Alhajj and Jon Rokne. NY: Springer.
- "Corporate Social Capital in Chinese Guanxi Culture," with Lei Zhang. 2014. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 40:417-439.
- "Urban-Rural Housing Inequality in Transitional China," with Chuntian Lu. 2014. Pp. 179-201 in Analyzing China’s Population. Edited by Isabelle Attané and Baochang Gu. NY: Springer.
- "Education and Career Mobility under China’s Market Economy," with Jianghua Yang and Cheng Cheng. 2014. Pp. 231-250 in Spotlight on China: Changes in Education under China’s Market Economy. Edited by Shibao Guo and Yan Guo. MA: Sense Publishers.
- "The Chinese General Social Survey (2003-2008): Sample Designs and Data Evaluation," with Lulu Li. 2012. Chinese Sociological Review 45:70-97.