Prof Yanjie Bian
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Sociology, State University of New York at Albany, Albany, New York, 1990.
- M.A. : Sociology, Nankai University, China, 1984.
- B.A: Philosophy, Nankai University, China, 1982.
- Economic Sociology
- Social Networks
- Social Stratification
- Chinese Society
- FSEM 1904 - Chinese Society
- Soc 3090 - Topics: Chinese Society: Culture, Networks, & Inequality
- Soc 3201 - Inequality: Introduction to Stratification
- Soc 3421 - Sociology of Work: Good Jobs, Bad Jobs, No Jobs?
- Soc 3811 - Basic Social Statistics
- Soc 5811 - Intermediate Social Statistics
- Soc 8201 - Social Stratification & Mobility
- Soc 8290 - Topics: Social Stratification
Research & Professional Activities
- Guanxi-based corporate social capital; Social networks and jobs in Chinese cities; Institutional change and social mobility in post-Mao China
- "Subjective Wellbeing of Chinese People: A Multifaceted View," with Lei Zhang, Jianke Yang, Xiaoxian Guo, Ming Lei, 2015. Social Indicators Research 121: 75-92.
- "Information and Favoritism: The Network Effect on Wage Income in China," with Xianbi Huang, and Lei Zhang. 2015. Social Networks 40: 129-138.
- "Felt-Suffering in China," with Jing Shen. 2014. Pp 187-202 in World Suffering and Quality of Life edited by Ronald E. Anderson. NY: Springer.
- "East Asian Social Networks," with Ken’ichi Ikeda. 2014. Pp 417-433 in Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining, edited by Reda Alhajj and Jon Rokne. NY: Springer.
- "Corporate Social Capital in Chinese Guanxi Culture," with Lei Zhang. 2014. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 40: 417-439.
- "Urban-Rural Housing Inequality in Transitional China," with Chuntian Lu. 2014. Pp 179-201 in Analyzing China’s Population, edited by Isabelle Attané and Baochang Gu. NY: Springer.
- "Education and Career Mobility under China’s Market Economy," with Jianghua Yang and Cheng Cheng. 2014. Pp 231-250 in Spotlight on China: Changes in Education under China’s Market Economy, edited by Shibao Guo and Yan Guo. MA: Sense Publishers.
- "The Chinese General Social Survey (2003-2008): Sample Designs and Data Evaluation," with Lulu Li. 2012. Chinese Sociological Review 45: 70-97.