Dr Jeffrey P Broadbent
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Sociology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1982.
- M.A.: Regional Studies-East Asia, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1975.
- B.A.: Religious Studies-Buddhism, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, 1974.
- Political Sociology
- Environmental Sociology
- Climate Change
- Social Movements
- Network Analysis
- Global Society
- Discourse Analysis
- Qualitative Methods
- Institutions and Culture
- Cross-National Comparative Methods
- East Asia
- Soc 3090 - Topics: Science and Politics of Global Warming
- Soc 3301 - Politics and Society
- Soc/GLOS 3322W - Social movements, Protests and Change
- Soc 3661 - Japanese Society
- Soc/GLOS 4305 - Society and the Environment: A Growing Conflict
- Soc 3701 - Social Theory
- Soc 4601 - Comparative Social Structure
- Soc 8310 - Political Sociology Seminar
- Soc 8311 - Political Sociology
- Soc 8390 - Social Movement Seminar
Research & Professional Activities
- COMPON-Comparing Climate Change Policy Networks: http://compon.org/ Comparative study of the effects of discourse and mobilization networks upon policies to mitigate (reduce) carbon emissions and their outcomes, with research teams in and data from 19 cases (countries and region). Funded by National Science Foundation , October 2008 - Present
- The Unique Hybridity of Polities: Japanese, US and German Labor Politics as Multiplex Network Configurations and Power Hierarchies
- Dimensions of Contention: the Transforming Mixture of Material, Social and Cultural Networks
- World Bank project on Japan's environmental policies: research on Japan's environmental policies, 2000 - 2005
- "“Conflicting Climate Change Frames in a Global Field of Media Discourse”Jeffrey Broadbent, John Sonnett and 35 other co-authors. 2016. Socius: Sociological Research for a Dynamic World. Vol. 2. October 25.
- " "Dimensions of Contention: Integrating Material, Social and Cultural Aspects through Dynamic Network Analysis." 2016. Cultural Sociology Working Papers, Center for Cultural Sociology, Yale University.
- "Mitigating Climate Change: Sociological Perspective." Karen Erhardt-Martinez, Tom Rudel, and Kari Norgaard. 2015. Climate Change and Society: Sociological Perspectives American Sociological Association and Oxford University Press.
- "Inter-disciplinary Analysis of Climate Change and Society: A Network Approach." with Philip Vaughter. 2014. Understanding Society and Natural Resources: Forging New Strands of Integration Across the Social Sciences, Springer Press.
- "Asian Societies and Climate Change: Global Events and Domestic Discourse." with Sun-Jin Yun, Dowan Ku, Kazuhiro Ikeda, Keiichi Satoh, Sony Pellissery, Pradip Swarnarkar, Tze-Luen Lin, Ho-Ching Lee and Jun Jin. 2013. Globality Studies Journal No. 32.
- "Power, Protest, and Change in a Dynamic Region." 2011. with V. Brockman (editors). Introduction: East Asian Social Movements 1-30
- Masayoshi Ohira Memorial Prize, 2001
- Outstanding Publication Award, Section on Environment and Technology, American Sociologoical Association, August 2000
- Fulbright Scholar Award (JUSEC), 1988 - 1989
- Fulbirght-Hays Scholar Award, 1989 - 1990