Dr Jeffrey P Broadbent
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Sociology, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1982.
- M.A.: Regional Studies-East Asia, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1975.
- B.A.: Religious Studies-Buddhism, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, 1974.
- Political Sociology
- Environmental Sociology
- Climate Change
- Social Movements
- Network Analysis
- Global Society
- Discourse Analysis
- Qualitative Methods
- Institutions and Culture
- Cross-National Comparative Methods
- East Asia
- Soc 3090 - Topics: Science and Politics of Global Warming
- Soc 3301 - Politics and Society
- Soc/GLOS 3322W - Social movements, Protests and Change
- Soc 3661 - Japanese Society
- Soc/GLOS 4305 - Society and the Environment: A Growing Conflict
- Soc 3701 - Social Theory
- Soc 4601 - Comparative Social Structure
- Soc 8310 - Political Sociology Seminar
- Soc 8311 - Political Sociology
- Soc 8390 - Social Movement Seminar
Research & Professional Activities
- COMPON-Comparing Climate Change Policy Networks: http://compon.org/ Comparative study of the effects of discourse and mobilization networks upon policies to mitigate (reduce) carbon emissions and their outcomes, with research teams in and data from 19 cases (countries and region). Funded by National Science Foundation , October 2008 - Present
- The Unique Hybridity of Polities: Japanese, US and German Labor Politics as Multiplex Network Configurations and Power Hierarchies
- Dimensions of Contention: the Transforming Mixture of Material, Social and Cultural Networks
- World Bank project on Japan's environmental policies: research on Japan's environmental policies, 2000 - 2005
- "Climate Change Policy Networks: Why and How to Compare Them Across Countries," Tuomas Ylä-Anttila, Antti Grownow, Mark C. J. Stoddart, Volker Schneider, and David B. Tindall. 2018. Energy Research and Social Sciences 45:258-265.
- "International Organizations, Advocacy Coalitions, and Domestication of Global Norms: Debates on Climate Change in Canada, the U.S., Brazil, and India,” with Anna Kukkonen, Tuomas Ylä-Anttila, Pradip Swarnakar, Myanna Lahsen, and Mark C. J. Stoddart. 2018. Environmental Science & Policy 81:54-62.
- "Advocacy Coalitions, Beliefs and Climate Change Policy in the United States,” with Anna Kukkonen and Tuomas Ylä-Anttila. 2017. Public Administration 95:713-729.
- "Comparative Climate Change Policy Networks.” 2016 online. In The Oxford Handbook of Political Networks. Edited by Jennifer Nicoll Victor, Alexander H. Montgomery, and Mark Lubell. UK: Oxford University Press.
- "Conflicting Climate Change Frames in a Global Field of Media Discourse," with 36 co-authors. 2016. Socius: Sociological Research for a Dynamic World 2:1-13.
- "Dimensions of Contention: Integrating the Dynamics of Power and Protest.” 2016. Center for Cultural Sociology Working Paper, Center for Cultural Sociology. CT: Yale University.
- "Mitigating Climate Change: Sociological Perspective," with Karen Erhardt-Martinez, Tom Rudel, and Kari Norgaard. 2015. Pp 199-234 in Climate Change and Society: Sociological Perspectives. Edited by Riley E. Dunlap and Bob J. Brulle. UK: Oxford University Press.
- "Inter-disciplinary Analysis of Climate Change and Society: A Network Approach," with Philip Vaughter. 2014. In Understanding Society and Natural Resources: Forging New Strands of Integration Across the Social Sciences. Edited by Michael J. Manfredo et al. NY: Springer.
- "Asian Societies and Climate Change: Global Events and Domestic Discourse," with 9 co-authors. 2013 online. Globality Studies Journal 32.
- "Introduction: East Asian Social Movements." 2011. Pp. 1-30 in East Asian Social Movements: Power, Protest and Change in a Dynamic Region. Edited with Vicky Brockman. NY: Springer.
- Masayoshi Ohira Memorial Prize, 2001
- Outstanding Publication Award, Section on Environment and Technology, American Sociologoical Association, August 2000
- Fulbright Scholar Award (JUSEC), 1988 - 1989
- Fulbirght-Hays Scholar Award, 1989 - 1990