Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2005.
- Grad Certificate: Latin American & Caribbean Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2001.
- M.A.: Sociology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1997.
- B.A.: Sociology & African American Studies, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1994.
- Blackness & Indigeneity
- Blackness in the Americas
- Contemporary U.S Race Relations
- Race and the Body
- Race and Electoral Politics
- Blacks and Social Class
- Afro-Latin America
- Soc 1001 - Introduction of Sociology
- Soc 3003 - Social Problems
- Soc 3211W - Race & Racialization
- Soc 3251W - Race, Class & Gender
- Soc 8211 - Race Relations Theory
Research & Professional Activities
- Member: American Sociological Association
- Member: American Historical Association
- Member: Latin American Studies Association
- Member: Association of Black Sociologists
- Member: Sociologists for Women in Society
- Your Great-Great Grandmother was a Cherokee: Native American Ancestry Lore Among White & Black Families in the United States :
- American Indian Racialization & the Sociological Study of Race:
- Perspectives on the 2016 Presidential Election: Race, Immigration, Gender & Religion :
- The Black Professional Middle Class: Structural and Experiential Distinctiveness:
- Towards a Sociology of Race and the Body
- Configuring the First Black President: Embodied Dimensions of the New Politics of Race
- Crack Babies & Meth Moms: Bodies at the Intersections of Science, Medicine, Gender & Race
- Invited Speaker: St Cloud State University. Lecture Series on Race and Gender,
- Invited Contributor: Social Science Research Council. "From King to Obama: Race in America",
- Keynote Speaker: African-American Academic Achievement Awards. Central High School, St. Paul MN,
- "Anger Management: Trump and Right-Wing Masculinity." 2016. Journal of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce 162(5566):27-29.
- "Barack Obama: The New Politics of Race, and Classed Constructions of Racial Blackness." 2014. The Sociological Quarterly 55:653-682.
- "Let Herman Be Herman: Republican Presidential Candidate Herman Cain and the Utility of Blackness for the Political Right." 2013. Pp. 161-170 in The Social Side of Politics. Edited by Douglas Hartmann and Chris Uggen. NY: W. W. Norton.
- “At This Defining Moment”: Barack Obama's Presidential Candidacy and the New Politics of Race. 2011. NY: New York University Press.
- "Each Sheep with Its Mate: Marking Race and Legitimacy in Cuban Ecclesiastical Archives, 1890-1940." 2010. Nieuwe West-Indische Gids (The New West Indian Guide) 84(1/2):5-39.
- "The 1899 Cuban Marriage Law Controversy: Church, State and Empire in the Crucible of Nation." 2008. Journal of Social History 42(2):469-494.
- "Conspirators, Pawns, Patriots and Brothers: Race and Politics in Western Cuba 1906–1909." 2001. Pp. 3-51 in Political Power and Social Theory (Political Power and Social Theory Book Series, Vol. 14). Edited by Diane E. Davis. UK: Emerald Group.
- "El apóstol y el comandante en jefe: Racial Discourses and Practices in Cuba, 1890-1999.” 1999. Pp. 195-213 in The Global Color Line: Racial and Ethnic Inequality and Struggle from a Global Perspective. Edited by Joe Feagin and Pinar J. Batur-VanderLippe. CT: JAI Press.
- Latin American Studies Library Travel Grant, Center for Latin American Studies, University of Florida 2002
- Student Academic Multicultural Initiatives Grant, Office of the Vice President, University of Michigan1999, 2002
- Sims Award. ($5000) School of Social Work, University of Michigan, 1996
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1993
- Joseph H. Fitchter Award for Research on Women, Gender & Religion 2002
- Magna Cum Laude, Yale University, 1994
- D'Arms Travel Award for Humanities Research, University of Michigan 2000
- International Predissertation Fellowship , Social Science Resea - 1998-1999
- Constant H. Jacquet Award for Research on Religion 2002
- President’s Faculty Multicultural Research Award, University of Minnesota, 2008 - 2009
- McKnight Research Fellowship. University of Minnesota 2006