Douglas Hartmann PhD
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D. : Sociology, University of California, San Diego , San Diego, CA, 1997.
- C.Phil / MA : Sociology, University of California, San Diego , San Diego, CA, 1994.
- M.A.: Social Sciences, University of Chicago, Chicago, 1990.
- A.B. : History, University of Chicago, Chicago, 1989.
- Ethnicity and Immigration
- Sociology of Culture
- Sport Studies
- Social Movements
- American Society
- Field Methods
- Contemporary Theory
- Public Engagement
- Soc 1001 - Introduction of Sociology
- Soc 1011V : Honors: Introduction to Sociology
- Soc 3211W - American Race Relations
- Soc 3801 - Sociological Research Methods
- Soc 4451 - Modern Sport: Its Power & Paradoxes
- Soc 4966W - Major-Project Seminar
- Soc 4977V - Senior Honors Preseminar I
- Soc 4978V - Senior Honors Preseminar II
- Soc 8001 - Sociology as a Profession
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Contemporary Theory and Practice
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Contexts Workshop
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Sociology and It's Publics
- Soc 8090 - Topics: Great Books
- Soc 8290 - Topics: Race and Religion in America
- Soc 8211 - Race Relations Theory
- Soc 8801 - Sociological Research Methods
- Soc 8890 - Advanced Research Methods: Ethnography
Research & Professional Activities
- Kids Involvement and Diversity Study (KIDS)
- Sport & Social Intervention (midnight basketball book, forthcoming)
- The American Mosaic Project
- The Society Pages
- "Navigating Americanized Identities: Bicultural Ethniciy, Race, and the Immigrant Incorporation Experience,” with Arturo Biaocchi and Teresa Toguchi Swartz . 2018. Race and Social Problems 10:332-347.
- "Colorblindness as Identity: Key Determinants, Relations to Ideology, and Implications for Attitudes about Race and Policy,” with Paul R. Croll, Ryan Larson, Joe Gerteis, and Alex Manning. 2017. Sociological Perspectives 60(5):866-888.
- Midnight Basketball: Race, Sports, and Neoliberal Social Policy. 2016. IL: University of Chicago Press.
- Assigned: Life with Gender. 2016. Edited with Lisa Wade and Christopher Uggen. NY: W.W. Norton & Company.
- "Sociology and Its Publics: Reframing Engagement and Revitalizing the Field.” 2016. The Sociological Quarterly 58(1):3-18.
- Migration, Incorporation, and Change in an Interconnected World," with Syed Ali. 2015. NY: Routledge/Taylor-Francis.
- "Reflections on Race, Diversity, and the Crossroads of Multiculturalism." 2015. The Sociological Quarterly 56(4): 623-639.
- "Colorblindness in Black and White: An Analysis of Core Tenets, Configurations, and Complexities," with Alex Manning and Joseph Gerteis. 2015. Sociology of Race and Ethnicity 1(4):532-546.
- "Kids of Color in the American Sporting Landscape: Limited, Concentrated, and Controlled," with Alex Manning. 2015. Pp 43-60 in Child’s Play. Edited by Michael Messner and Micheala Musto. NJ: Rutgers University Press.
- “Binge Drinking and Sports Participation in College: Patterns among Athletes and Former Athletes," with Kyle Green and Toben Nelson. 2014. International Journal for the Sociology of Sport 49(3-4):417-433.
- "Politics and Sports: Strange and Secret Bedfellows," with Kyle Green. 2013. Pp 87-102 in The Social Side of Politics. Edited by Douglas Hartmann and Christopher Uggen. NY: W.W. Norton & Co.
- "Race-Based Critical Theory and the ‘Happy Talk’ of Diversity in America," with Joyce Bell. 2013. Pp 229-248 in Illuminating Social Life: Classical and Contemporary Theory Revisited. Edited by Peter Kivisto. CA: Sage.
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) Award for outstanding, peer-reviewed online resource, 2013