1131 Social Science Bldg.
267 19th Ave South
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D: Sociology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 2001.
- A.M.: Social Administration, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, 1989.
- M.A: English Language and Literature, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1987.
- A.B.: Romance Languages and Literature, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, 1986.
- Social Movements
- Gender and Sexuality
- Soc 1905 - Freshmen Seminar
- Soc 3701 - Social Theory
- Soc 4521/4521H - Love, Sex and Marriage
- Soc 4551 - Sociology of Sexualities
- Soc 4703 - Contemporary American Culture
- Soc 4978V - Senior Honors Preseminar II
- Soc 4977V - Senior Honors Preseminar I
- Soc 8501 - Sociology of Family
- Soc 8801 - Sociological Research Methods
- Soc 8735 - Sociology of Culture
Research & Professional Activities
- "Talking About Social Controversies." This collaborative project with Penny Edgell uses focus group discussions to examine how people talk about and form opinions on complex, controversial issues, with a particular focus on issues for which the expert domains of religion, science, and/or law offer conflicting guidance. We conducted 36 focus groups in three sites around the country, and we are currently analyzing the transcripts along several dimensions. We look at the role of story-telling in the groups, the way different forms of knowledge are weighted and compared, and the cultural schemas of law, science and religion that underlie participants' talk. This project was funded by the Sociology Program of the National Science Foundation
- “The Construction and Contestation of ‘Family’ in LGBT Communities.” This project draws upon interviews and focus groups to examine the close relationships in the lives of sexual minorities and gender variant people. LGBT people are often invoked as threats to family in “family values” discourses, even as the gay rights movement focuses more than ever on a range of family issues including marriage and parenting rights. This project seeks to advance theorizing about nontraditional families. “The Role of Cognition in the Development of Social Fragmentation, Commonalities, and Consensus.” This NSF-funded project with Professor Penny Edgell uses focus group discussions of contemporary social controversies to examine how ordinary citizens deliberate on complex issues and evaluate competing forms of expert discourse from religion, science and law
- "Same-Sex Marriage: Principle Versus Practice." 2019. International Journal of Law, Policy and the Family 33(1):51–74.
- "Conventional and Cutting-Edge: Definitions of Family in LGBT Communities.” with Timothy A. Ortyl. 2019. Sexuality Research and Social Policy 16(1):31-43.
- "Coming Out as Transgender: Navigating the Social Implications of a Transgender Identity,” with Stacey M. Brumbaugh-Johnson. 2018. Journal of Homosexuality 66(8):1148-1177.
- "The Role of Social Science Expertise in Same-Sex Marriage Litigation." 2017. Forthcoming in Annual Review of Law and Social Science 13:471-491.
- "Cultural Schemas of Religion, Science, and Law in Talk About Social Controversies," with Penny Edgell. 2017. Sociological Forum 32(2):298-320.
- "Legal Consciousness in Marginalized Groups: The Case of LGBT People." 2016. Law & Social Inquiry 41(3):551-572.
- “Reasoning Together Through Telling Stories: How People Talk About Social Controversies,’” with Penny Edgell, Kyle Green, and Daniel Winchester. 2016. Qualitative Sociology 39(1):1-26.
- "The Evolution of Same-Sex Marriage Politics in the U.S." 2016. Pp. 551-558 in Introducing the New Sexuality Studies, 3rd ed. Edited by Nancy L. Fischer and Steven Seidman. UK: Routledge.
- "Same-Sex, Different Attitudes." 2014. The Society Pages. Reprinted in Getting Culture. Edited by D. Hartmann and C. Uggen. NY: W.W. Norton.
- "Same-Sex Marriage and Constituent Perceptions of the LGBT Rights Movement." 2013. In The Marrying Kind? Debating Same-Sex Marriage within the Lesbian and Gay Movement. Edited by V. Taylor and M. Bernstein. University of Minnesota Press.
- "The Changing Landscape of Love and Marriage," with Ann Meier and Timothy Ortyl. 2010. Contexts 9(2):32-37.
- "Young Adult Relationship Values at the Intersection of Gender and Sexuality," with Ann Meier and Timothy Ortyl. 2009. Journal of Marriage and Family 71(3):510-525.
- Chair of the ASA Sociology of Law Section, 2014 - 2015