Claire M Kamp Dush
Professor Claire Kamp Dush is Professor of Sociology and an affiliate of the Minnesota Population Center. She is an expert on family functioning, including marriage and cohabitation, and its intersection with human development. She is a member of the Council on Contemporary Families; International Association for Relationship Research; National Council on Family Relations; and the Population Association of America.
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: Human Development & Family Studies, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2005.
- M.S.: Human Development & Family Studies, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, 2002.
- B.S.: Human Development & Family Studies, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, 1999.
- Family & Life Course
- Population Health
- Human Development & Family Studies
- Intimacy & Sexuality
- Gender & Work
- Sex & Gender Minorities and Health
Research & Professional Activities
- Member, Editorial Boards: Journal of American Psychology, Journal of Family Theory & Review, Journal of Social & Personal Relationships
- Member: American Sociological Association, Council on Contemporary Families, International Association for Relationship Research, International Association for Time Use Research, National Council on Family Relations, Population Association of America
- The National Couples’ Health and Time Study: The largest population representative, fully powered study of same and different-gender couples in the United States. The data include both survey data on health, stigma, discrimination, and intimate relationships, and time diary data.
- The Work and Family Life Study: Examines how marriage has changed over the past forty years for different-gender couples, and establishes a baseline for same-gender marriage.
- Romantic Relationships: Examines how romantic relationship experiences and transitions shape individual development, including both adult and child development.
- The All-or-Nothing Marriage?: Examines marital functioning and health among individuals in same and different-gender marriages.
- Mechanisms Underlying Sexual Minority Health Disparities in the United States:
- "Moving Beyond Access: Predictors of Maternity and Paternity Leave Duration in the United States," with Miranda N. Berrigan and Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan. 2020.Sex Roles. DOI 10.1007/s11199-020-01165-7.
- "'Best-Laid Plans': Barriers to Meeting Marital Timing Desires Over the Life Course," with Rachel Arocho. 2020.Marriage & Family Review 56(7):633-656.
- "New Fathers' Perceptions of Dyadic Adjustment: The Roles of Maternal Gatekeeping and Coparenting Closeness," with Anna L. Olsavsky, Jia Yan, and Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan. 2020.Family Process 59(2):571-585.
- "Paternal Stimulation and Father-Infant Attachment," with Anna L. Olsavsky, Miranda N. Berrigan, Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan, and Geoffrey L. Grown. 2020. Attachment & Human Development 22(1):15-26.
- "Longitudinal Measurement Invariance Across Fathers' and Mothers' Reports of Maternal Gatekeeping Behavior," with Jin-Kyung Lee, Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan, Xin Feng, and Micah L. Gerhardt. 2019. In B. L. Volling and N. J. Cabrera (Eds.), Advancing Research and Measurement on Fathering and Children's Development, Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development 84(1):35-49.
- “Cohabitation and Single Mothering in the U.S.: A Review and a Call for Psychological Research," with Rachel Arocho, Sara E. Mernitz, and Galena K. Rhoades. 2018. Pp. 667-683 in Handbook of Contemporary Family Psychology. Edited by B. Friese, M. Celano, K. Deater-Deckard, E. N. Jouriles, and M. A. Whisman. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- "The Intergenerational Transmission of Partnering," with Rachel Arocho, Sara E. Mernitz, and Kyle Bartholomew. 2018. PLoS ONE 13(11). DOI 10.1371/journal.pone.0205732.
- "A Cohort Comparison of Predictors of Young Adult Union Formation and Dissolution in the U.S.," with Bohyun Jang and Anastasia R. Snyder. 2018. Advances in Life Course Research 38:37-49.
- "Distant Horizons: Marital Expectations May Be Dampened by Economic Circumstances," with Rachel Arocho. 2018. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice 7(1). DOI 10.1037/cfp0000095.
- "Associations Between Maternal Gatekeeping and Fathers' Parenting Quality," with Lauren E. Altenburger and Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan. 2018.Journal of Child and Family Studies 27(8):2678-2689.
- "Maternal Coparenting Attitudes and Toddler Adjustment: Moderated Mediation Through Father's Positive Engagement," with Jia Yan and Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan. 2018. Parenting Science and Practice 18(2):67-85.
- "What Are Men Doing Whlie Women Perform Extra Unpaid Labor? Leisure and Specialization at the Transition to Parenthood," with Jill E. Yavorsky and Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan. 2018. Sex Roles 78(11-12):715-730.
- "Coparenting in the Family of Origin and New Parents' Couple Relationship Functioning," with Jia Yan, Anna Olsavsky, and Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan. 2018. Journal of Family Psychology 32(2):206-216.
- "Like Mother, Like Child: Offspring Marital Timing Desires and Maternal Marriage Timing and Stability," with Rachel Arocho. 2017. Journal of Family Psychology 31(3):261-272.
- "Doing Gender Online: New Mothers' Psychological Characteristics, Facebook Use, and Depressive Symptoms," with Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan, Jill E. Yavorsky, Mitchell K. Bartholomew, Jason M. Sullivan, Mehan A. Lee, and Michael Glassman. 2017. Sex Roles 76(5-6):276-289.
- "Toddlers' Differential Susceptibility to the Effects of Coparenting on Social-Emotional Adjustment," with Lauren E. Altenburger, Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan, and Susan C. Johnson. 2017. International Journal of Behavioral Development 41(2):228-237.
- "Anticipating the 'Ball and Chain'? Reciprocal Associations Between Martial Expectations and Delinquency," with Rachel Arocho. 2016. Journal of Marriage and Family 78:1371-1381.
- "Emotional Health Across the Transition to First and Second Unions Among Emerging Adults," with Sara E. Mernitz. 2016. Journal of Family Psychology 30(2):233-244.
- "Supportive Coparenting Relationships as a Haven of Psychological Safety at the Transition to Parenthood," with Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan, Theresa A. Settle, and Jin-Kyung Lee. 2016. Research in Human Development 13(1):32-48.
- "New Parents' Psychological Adjustment and Trajectories of Early Parental Involvement," with Rongfang Jia, Letitia E. Kotila, and Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan. 2016. Journal of Marriage and Family 78(1):197-211.
- "Dimensions of Attachment and Commitment Across the Transition to Parenthood," with Megan M. Ferriby, Letitia E. Kotila, and Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan. 2015. Journal of Family Psychology 29(6):938-944.
- "Who are the Gatekeepers? Predictors of Maternal Gatekeeping," with Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan, Lauren E Altenburger, Meghan A. Lee, and Daniel J. Bower. 2015. Parenting: Science and Practice 15(3):166-186.
- "Production of Inequality: The Gender Division of Labor Across the Transition to Parenthood," with Jill E. Yavorsky and Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan. 2015. Journal of Marriage and Family 77(3):662-679. Winner of the 2014 Jesse Bernard Award for Outstanding Contribution to Feminist Scholarhship, National Council on Family Relations.
- "Gut Microbiome Composition Is Associated with Temperament During Early Childhood," with Lisa M. Christian, Jeffrey D. Galley, Erinn M. Hade, Sarah J. Schoppe-Sullivan, and Michael T. Bailey. 2015. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity 45:118-127.
- Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching, The Ohio State University, 2019
- Featured Teacher, Center for the Advancement of Teaching, The Ohio State University, 2018
- Most Significant Influence on Undergraduate Recognition, College of Education & Human Ecology, The Ohio State University, 2016 - 2018
- Distinguished Teaching Award, College of Education & Human Ecology, The Ohio State University, 2014
- Scholar of the Year Award, Department of Human Development & Family Science, The Ohio State University, 2011
- B.S. conferred with Honors, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999
- Orville G. Bentley Undergraduate Research Award, College of Agricultural, Consumer & Environmental Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1999