Prof David H Knoke
Educational Background & Specialties
- Ph.D.: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1972.
- MSW: Social Work Administration, University of Michigan, 1971 .
- MA: Sociology, University of Chicago, 1970.
- BA: Honors in Psychology, High Honors in Sociology, University of Michigan, 1969 .
- Social Networks
- Political Sociology
- Economic Sociology
- Soc 3411W - Organizatons & Society
- Soc 3412 - Social Networking: Theories & Methods
- Soc 3811 - Basic Social Statistics
- Soc 4411 - Terrorist Networks & Counterterror Organizations
- Soc 5811 - Intermediate Social Statistics
- Soc 8412 - Social Network Analysis
- Soc 8490 - Topics: Economic Sociology
- Soc 8811 - Advanced Social Statistics
Research & Professional Activities
- Investigations of diverse networks, including political, economic, intra- and interorganizational, health care, and terrorist & counterterror networks
- "Community Philanthropy,” with Xi Zhu. Forthcoming. In The International Encyclopedia of Civil Society, 2nd Edition. Edited by Regina A. List, et al. NY: Springer.
- "Game Changer: Jacob Moreno.” Forthcoming 2018. In Encyclopedia of Social Research Methods. Edited by Paul Atkinson, Sara Delamont, Melissa Hardy, et al. CA: Sage Publishers.
- "Power Networks.” 2018. Pp. 539-561 in The Palgrave Handbook of Political Elites. Edited by Heinrich Best and John Higley. UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- "Dark Networks: The Terror-Crime Nexus," with Marie DeRousse-Wu. 2016 eBook. Pp. 471-481 in Palgrave Handbook on Inter-Organizational Relations in World Politics. Edited by Joachim A. Koops and Rafael Biermann. UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- "Policy Networks: Structures and Power," with Tetiana Kostiuchenko. 2016. In Oxford Handbook of Political Networks. Edited by Jennifer Victor, Mark Lubell, and Alexander Montgomery. UK: Oxford University Press.
- “Emerging Trends in Social Network Analysis of Terrorism and Counterterrorism.” 2015 online. In Emerging Trends in the Social and Behavioral Sciences. Edited by Robert Scott and Stephen Kosslyn. NJ: John Wiley and Sons.
- "Do Nonprofits Treat Their Employees Differently? Incentive Pay and Health Benefits," with Xinxiang Chen and Ting Ren. 2014. Nonprofit Management & Leadership 24:285-306
- Managing to Care: Design and Implementation of Patient-Centered Care Management Teams," with Douglas R. Wholey, Xi Zhu, et al. 2014. Advances in Health Care Organization Theory, 2nd Edition. Edited by Stephen S. Mick and Debora G. Goldberg. CA: Jossey-Bass.
- "The Origins of Social Network Analysis." 2014. Pp 1229-1233 in Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining, Vol. 2. Edited by Reda Alhajj and Jon Rockne. Germany: Springer.
- "It Takes a Network’: The Rise and Fall of Social Network Analysis in U.S. Army Counterinsurgency Doctrine." 2013. Connections 33:1-10.
- “Organizational Status Growth and Structure: An Alliance Network Analysis," with Francisco Granados. 2013. Social Networks 35:62-74.
- Economic Networks. 2012. UK: Polity Press.
- Arthur "Red" Motley Exemplary Teaching Award, College of Liberal Arts, University of Minnesota, 2009
- College of Liberal Arts Scholars of the College, University of Minnesota, 1996
- Fulbright Scholar Award