Latvian American Studies
Fellowships available for the 2024-2025 academic year!
The American Latvian Association Graduate Fellowship in Latvian American Studies provides support for a full-time UMN graduate student in good academic standing with demonstrated potential in their field and who will be committed to and involved in the work of the Immigration History Research Center Archive’s Latvian American collection. Preference given to students studying Latvian American history and knowledge of the Latvian language is highly recommended, but all students with demonstrated research, writing, and digital humanities skills are encouraged to apply. The fellowship may be used for living expenses as well as research travel and expenses. The fellowship may be awarded more than once to the same student during their enrollment in the University.
For more insight into the type of work supported by this fellowship, you may wish to read about previous fellows.
- A completed fellowship application form
- A two-page description of your research topic and how the fellowship supports your plan of study next year
- A 500-word description explaining your interest in Latvian American history and your Latvian language ability (if applicable) OR an explanation of your archival research, writing, and digital humanities skills and experience
- Current academic transcript from the University of Minnesota (unofficial copy acceptable)
- A letter of recommendation from your graduate advisor