Musicology / Ethnomusicology
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The doctoral degree in musicology/ethnomusicology is oriented toward preparing students for scholarly research and teaching, aiming for breadth and depth in one specialized area. The program offers the emerging scholar:
- Courses that prepare students for advanced research in their field
- Interdisciplinary interaction within a comprehensive school of music and a major research university
- A curriculum with a varied range of choices with respect to historical periods, analytical systems, and cultural areas.
For your PhD, you will be expected to meet the following requirements, including your post-baccalaureate study from other institutions:
- 30 credits of musicology seminars, including Advanced Research in Historical Musicology and Current Issues in Ethnomusicology
- 3 credits of music theory
- 12 credits of supporting non-music coursework
- Demonstration of reading knowledge in 2 foreign languages
- Completion of written and oral preliminary exam
- Completion of thesis or final project
- Completion of final oral examination
View full program requirements.