Internal Funding Opportunities
Office of the Vice President for Research
University of Minnesota and the College of Liberal Arts opportunities
Center for German and European Studies
Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA)
- Programs for Faculty Initiated Projects: Support for faculty public policy research that involves interaction with community groups or government agencies in Minnesota.
- New Initiatives Program: Support for new projects outside of existing program areas.
Center for Writing
- Research grants: Center for Writing offers small grants to support writing in disciplines and writing across the curriculum.
College of Liberal Arts
- InfoTech Fees Program: LATIS and the CLA Student Technology Fee Committee offer an internal grant program for CLA faculty, staff, and departments seeking funds for technology equipment and technology-rich projects that enhance the learning experience for our undergraduate and graduate students.
- Internal Awards and Funding Sources Available to CLA Faculty: For specific questions regarding CLA internal awards and funding, contact John Blair, at 612-624-2594 or John Blair. For general research-related questions in the College of Liberal Arts, contact the Office of the Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Programs, at 612-624-9815.
Digital Technology Center
- Initiatives in Digital Technology: Grants for faculty working in digital technologies.
European Studies Consortium (ESC)
- The purpose of the ESC is to promote and support inquiry into Europe-related issues that engage scholars across disciplinary and collegiate borders.
Human Rights Initiative (HRI)
- The Human Rights Initiative (HRI) supports research that significantly impacts the grand challenges in human rights today.
The Imagine Fund is an arts and humanities endowment supported by the McKnight Foundation. The foundation provides faculty research awards, visiting distinguished professorships, and a special events fund.
Institute for Advanced Study
Post Doctoral and Graduate Fellowships: 2014-15 Sawyer Seminar on "Making the Mississippi: Formulating New Water Narratives for the 21st Century and Beyond."
Research and Creative Collaboratives: Support for collaborative groups, focusing on a specific area of inquiry.
Residential Fellows: Single semester, residential fellowship in the IAS, in support of a specific research or creative project.
Institute for Global Studies
Intellectual Collaboratives: Support for inter- and cross-disciplinary faculty collaborative groups.
Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships: Awards for graduate students to study a modern foreign language.
Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Global Change
Fellowships for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Learning Abroad Center
Program for Cultural Cooperation Between Spain's Ministry of Culture & United States' Universities: Support for research that promotes closer ties between scholarly Hispanicism in the US in the areas of humanities, social sciences, and the cultural and academic developments of Spain.
Minnesota Population Center
Proposal Development Grants: Funding for graduate students and faculty to develop and submit population-related research proposals to external funding agencies.
Office of the Vice President and Vice Provost for Equity and Diversity
IDEA Grants Program: Innovation, Diversity, Equity, and Achievement: Established by the Office of the Vice President and Vice Provost for Equity and Diversity, the University of Minnesota IDEA (Innovation, Diversity, Equity, and Achievement) Grants Program seeks to infuse equity and diversity into every aspect of the University's work and operations by funding creative yet pragmatic proposals for projects that address issues of institutional equity and diversity.
Office of International Programs (OIP)
OIP offers Grants and Scholarships resources for graduate students and faculty.
Office of Public Engagement
Office of Public Engagement supports departments that wish to develop or strengthen research- or teaching-focused university/community engagement initiatives for faculty and/or students.
Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR)
Minnesota Futures Grant Program: Support for two phases of interdisciplinary collaborative projects. Phase 1 solicits proposals to develop and convene interdisciplinary symposia around research questions of current significance. The purpose is to encourage development of interdisciplinary research proposals that will be submitted as part of Phase 2 of the program. Phase 2 will be a call for interdisciplinary research proposals that originate from the symposia.
Grant-in-Aid of Research, Artistry and Scholarship Program (GIA): Grants to promote the scholarly and artistic activities of the faculty and their graduate students and to foster academic excellence within the University.
Senior VP for Academic Affairs and Provost
Arts & Humanities Imagine Fund: A fund to support a broad range of faculty activities in the arts, humanities, and design across the University of Minnesota system. Grant programs include: Special Events Grant Program, Course Release Fund & Arts & Humanities Faculty Awards.