You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the minimum GRE score required for admission?

There is no required minimum score to be admitted into the program. The GRE score is one of several metrics used in reviewing an application. Our admissions committee reviews each applicant's academic record, letters of recommendation, the personal statement, and any other information that will establish the candidate's potential to be an excellent graduate student.

Admitted Fall 2019 Average GRE Speech-Language-Pathology Audiology
Verbal Percentile 70th 67th
Quantitative Percentile 50th 53rd
Writing Percentile 73rd 69th

Is there a minimum grade point average?

The department requires that students have a 3.0 overall undergraduate GPA (on a 4-point scale). GPA is an important indicator of academic achievement and transcripts are reviewed carefully, but like the GRE scores, it is only one indicator. If there are compelling reasons to look beyond grade point average and there are other indicators to predict academic success, we will consider those when reviewing an applicant's credentials.

Admitted Fall 2019 Ranges Speech-Language-Pathology Audiology
Undergraduate GPA 3.11–4.00 3.20-4.00

How long will it take me to complete the program?

Duration of the MA in Speech-Language Pathology: Students with undergraduate degrees in communication disorders or speech and hearing sciences are expected to complete the MA program in two years. Note that requests for early graduation from the program typically cannot be accommodated due to the clinic rotations required to meet certification standards. Students with no undergraduate background in the field typically complete the degree in approximately three years.

Duration of the Doctor of Audiology Degree: Students with undergraduate degrees in communication disorders or speech and hearing sciences are expected to complete the audiology program in four years. Students with no undergraduate background in the field typically complete the degree in approximately five years.

Duration of the PhD Degree: Students with a background in the discipline generally complete their degree requirements in four to five years. Students with no previous background generally complete their degree in five or more years, depending upon their area of interest.

Do I need to attend this program full time?

Yes, the department expects that all students engage in graduate study on a full-time basis. Students typically register for 12–14 credits per semester. In addition, summer registration may be required to complete degree requirements in a timely way.

How many new students are admitted each year?

On an average year, we admit 25-35 new MA students and 8-10 AuD students. We restrict the number of graduate students we admit because we want students to have the opportunity to work closely with the faculty. We also have a limited number of places where we can offer students excellent supervised clinical practice.

Do I need an undergraduate degree or background in the discipline to be accepted to this program?

No, however, most students in the MA or AuD programs have a background in speech and hearing sciences or communication disorders. We do accept some outstanding students who come from a variety of other disciplines such as Spanish, music, law, theater, English, education, social work, psychology, and many others.

Many students entering the PhD program have a bachelor's degree or master's degree in communication disorders, speech-language pathology, audiology, or speech-language-hearing science. However, students with baccalaureate or master's degrees in other areas are also eligible to enter the PhD program.

I took some courses in the speech and hearing sciences as an undergraduate. Will they count toward my degree?

No, only courses that were taken as a graduate student can count toward your degree. However, if you have taken courses with similar content, your advisor will help you determine whether a particular course completed at another university covered the content of a comparable core course. You will not need to repeat content already covered at another institution.

What courses must I "make up" if I don't have an undergraduate degree in Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences?

Students who enter the MA or AuD programs without a background in the field may take courses along with undergraduates, but will be fulfilling graduate requirements while doing so. Note that this will add time to your degree.

Can I get a PhD degree after I complete the MA degree?

Some of our students decide during their MA studies to pursue further graduate study and obtain a PhD degree. These students can request a change in their graduate program and the faculty will review their request. If you are seriously considering doctoral study immediately after you complete the MA degree, please consult with the Director of Graduate Studies about the possibilities for applying to the PhD program.

What resources are available for me if I have a disability that I believe will affect my performance in this program?

Please consult with the Director of Graduate Studies at your first opportunity. The University has complete services available through Disability Services.

May I take courses before I am admitted to the program?

Yes, you may take courses through the College of Continuing Education without being formally admitted into a graduate program. You may transfer some credits from other institutions into a graduate program if the courses appear on a graduate transcript. Students sometimes take courses from the core curriculum to demonstrate their ability before applying to the program.

Note that taking courses through the College of Continuing Education is not a guarantee of admission to the graduate program. Additionally, credits taken may not transfer to another institution or graduate program.

Can I re-apply if I am not admitted to the program?

Yes, the Graduate School will retain the application file for three years. You will need to complete a new Graduate School online application and pay the application processing fee. You may re-write your personal statement and solicit new or additional letters of recommendation to the department. You will need to submit a current transcript if you have taken additional coursework in the interim.

Where can I estimate my educational costs?

Please visit the student services section of the University of Minnesota website for a cost estimate.