Tutor Lab & Conversation Hours
Update: Due to the recent transition of all University wide classes being offered online only, the Tutor Lab hours will also be offered via online mode only for Fall 2020 Semester. Tutor Lab drop-ins will be held via Zoom during specific times. Students must have either installed the Zoom for Meetings Desktop App or the Zoom Mobile App in order to attend drop-in hours.
Tutor LabFall 2020 Tutor Lab:Mondays: 12:00pm-2:30pmTuesdays: 9:00am-1:00pm & 2:30-3:30pm (Port 12:10-1:10)Wednesdays: 9:00am-12:00 pm & 2:00-5:00pm (Port 11:00-12:00)Thursdays: 12:00pm-4:00pm
Tutor Lab is available starting Monday September 14th, 2020 to Friday December 18th, 2020.
During Tutor lab drop-in hours, go to our Zoom site and enter the waiting room. An instructor will meet with students in order of how they entered the waiting room.
Guidelines for Walk-in Tutoring Hours:
Only Spanish assignments can be printed in the tutor lab and students must pay for their printed work. The only payment method accepted is Gopher Gold. Due to the automated system, if you do not have your card, it is impossible to print.
- Remember that it is very important for you to rely on both your textbooks and your instructors. Tutors may help you find ways to make the most of your textbooks and your instructors.
- Before you visit the lab, first use your textbooks, then the dictionary and other resource materials to answer your own questions. Tutors may help you with the relevant sections in your assignments.
- University policy clearly states that reasonable accommodations must be made for students with documented disabilities.
- Since each course has separate guidelines, please identify your essay task or clarify your assignment when you work with a tutor.
- Tutors will guide you to reformulate your own text or perform your own grammar corrections.
- You, rather than the tutor, must author the essay text. This means that tutors will limit their assistance to suggestions that guide you in writing and help you use level-appropriate language, rather than correcting each individual error in an essay.
- Help students discover the questions they need to ask to complete their assignments.
- Guide students in isolating areas that need work on exercises and essays.
- Show students how to find the information to complete assignments, starting first with their textbooks.
- Help students learn to use the target language.
- Spend more than approximately 20 minutes with a single student. Students can hire tutors for longer sessions (click here for a tutor list or translator list). Students are encouraged to return for follow-up questions once they have had time to absorb the material.
- Walk students through entire homework assignments.
- Proofread anything.
- Spend time dispensing genders and verb conjugations.
Spanish Conversation Hours
Majors and minors who are enrolled in a SPAN 3xxx may register for conversation hours.
If you are interested in registering for conversation hours, please do so here. You will notice the appointment calendar is currently reflecting this week of September 7th. On the top left hand corner, you will see two arrows pointing in opposite directions. Click the arrow to the right, to move the calendar into next week, September 13th through September 19th. From there, you will see the option to select an appointment time starting Monday September 14th, that works best with your schedule.
You will be registering with up to three other students and one instructor. There is no homework needed to attend, but we do ask to go to the Conversation hour Session with at least two questions that you are planning to ask other students in the session.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding conversation hours, please contact Megan DeLaCruz, the Undergraduate Assistant with the Spanish and Portuguese Department at email@example.com.
Bate-papo - Portuguese Conversation Group
Portuguese speakers and learners at all skill levels are welcome, and feel free to join even if you’ve never spoken Portuguese before or even if you’ve spoken it for years. The bate-papo is informal, and you can feel free to drop in for just a portion of the 45 minutes. This event is hosted by Sophia Beal and is open to the entire UMN community.
Join Zoom Meeting https://umn.zoom.us/j/97983946559?pwd=ZDNFcEJLSkJyUmhweXNLT28wT2FuQT09
Meeting ID: 979 8394 6559