Tutor Lab & Conversation Hours
Update: Due to the recent transition of all University wide classes being offered online only, the Tutor Lab hours will also be offered via online mode only for Spring 2021 Semester. Tutor Lab drop-ins will be held via Zoom during specific times. Students must have either installed the Zoom for Meetings Desktop App or the Zoom Mobile App in order to attend drop-in hours.
Tutor Lab and Language Level Conversation Hours
For Spring 2021, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies offers a free tutoring service to all students enrolled in 1xxx-level language courses. The service includes three options to support your Spanish learning needs.
Spring 2021 Tutor Lab Schedule :
Conversation hours Topic related for 1xxx level students. Sign-up for a 20-minute session to talk about your studies, the University of Minnesota, and more with up to 4 other students and a Spanish instructors
SPAN 1022 grammar review. Bring your questions about the present tense, adjectives, ser, or possessive adjectives and a Spanish instructor will be there to answer them or guide you through some practice exercises from the book. Sign-up here for a 20-minute session.
SPAN 1003 & SPAN 1004 course specific tutor lab. Bring your questions related to your class and a Spanish instructor will be there to answer them or guide you through some practice exercises from the book. Sign-up here for a 20-minute session.
Open, drop-in hours. No reservations needed. Bring questions from your homework assignments or about what you’re learning in class, and a Spanish instructor will help you find answers. During Tutor lab drop-in hours, go to our Zoom site and enter the waiting room.
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday 9:00-10:00 Conversation Hours Tutor Lab 1003 10:00-11:00 Tutor Lab 1022 Conversation Hours Port Tutor Lab Drop In's 11:00-12:00 12:00-1:00 Tutor Lab 1004 Tutor Lab 1022 Drop in Tutor Lab 1:00-2:00 Drop In Tutor Lab Tutor Lab 1003 Conversation Hours 2:00-3:00 Conversation Hours Conversation Hours 3:00-4:00 Conversation Hours
Tutor Lab is available starting Monday January 25th to Friday May 7th, 2021.
During Tutor lab drop-in hours, go to our Appointment Calendar and either make an appointment or enter the waiting room. An instructor will meet with students in order of how they entered the waiting room.
If you have any additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Guidelines for Walk-in Tutoring Hours:
Only Spanish assignments can be printed in the tutor lab and students must pay for their printed work. The only payment method accepted is Gopher Gold. Due to the automated system, if you do not have your card, it is impossible to print.
- Remember that it is very important for you to rely on both your textbooks and your instructors. Tutors may help you find ways to make the most of your textbooks and your instructors.
- Before you visit the lab, first use your textbooks, then the dictionary and other resource materials to answer your own questions. Tutors may help you with the relevant sections in your assignments.
- University policy clearly states that reasonable accommodations must be made for students with documented disabilities.
- Since each course has separate guidelines, please identify your essay task or clarify your assignment when you work with a tutor.
- Tutors will guide you to reformulate your own text or perform your own grammar corrections.
- You, rather than the tutor, must author the essay text. This means that tutors will limit their assistance to suggestions that guide you in writing and help you use level-appropriate language, rather than correcting each individual error in an essay.
- Help students discover the questions they need to ask to complete their assignments.
- Guide students in isolating areas that need work on exercises and essays.
- Show students how to find the information to complete assignments, starting first with their textbooks.
- Help students learn to use the target language.
- Spend more than approximately 20 minutes with a single student. Students can hire tutors for longer sessions on our tutor and translator list page. Students are encouraged to return for follow-up questions once they have had time to absorb the material.
- Walk students through entire homework assignments.
- Proofread anything.
- Spend time dispensing genders and verb conjugations.
Upper Level (Span 3xxx) Conversation Hours
For Spring 2021, the Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies offers a free Conversation Hour Service to all students enrolled in 3xxx-level Spanish courses. You will be registering with up to three other students and one instructor. There is no homework needed to attend, but we do ask to go to the Conversation hour Session with at least two questions that you are planning to ask other students in the session.
If you are interested in registering for conversation hours, please do so at our Calendar page. You will need to register for an appointment slot in order to attend.
Conversation Hours are available starting Monday February 1st, to Friday May 7th, 2021.
Spring 2021 Conversation Hour Schedule:
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday 9:00-10:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour Conversation Hour Conversation Hour 10:00-11:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour 11:00-12:00 Conversation Hour 12:00-1:00 Conversation Hour 1:00-2:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour 2:00-3:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour 3:00-4:00 Conversation Hour Conversation Hour Conversation Hour
If you have any questions or concerns regarding conversation hours, please contact Megan DeLaCruz, the Undergraduate Assistant with the Spanish and Portuguese Department at email@example.com.
Bate-papo - Portuguese Conversation Group
Portuguese speakers and learners at all skill levels are welcome, and feel free to join even if you’ve never spoken Portuguese before or even if you’ve spoken it for years. The bate-papo is informal, and you can feel free to drop in for just a portion of the 45 minutes. This event is hosted by Sophia Beal and is open to the entire UMN community.
Join Zoom Meeting https://umn.zoom.us/j/97983946559?pwd=ZDNFcEJLSkJyUmhweXNLT28wT2FuQT09
Meeting ID: 979 8394 6559