Advising is an important part of your academic journey. You are the driver, and your CLA Advisor is your navigator.
CLA Advisors help you plan your academic career once you have been admitted and completed orientation. They are here to ensure you connect to resources on campus, learn through academic and non-academic opportunities, and achieve your goals from orientation to graduation.
How to Make an Appointment
Make a virtual advising appointment with your advisor by going to https://claadvising.appointments.umn.edu and scheduling it online.
CLA Advising Hours*
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The University is closed 12/23/21, 12/24/21, 12/30/21 and 12/31/21, Our offices will be remote 12/27/21 - 12/29/21
Not able to schedule with your advisor online?
As a currently enrolled College of Liberal Arts student, you are welcome to use virtual drop-in advising. Virtual drop-in advising is limited to a 5-minute to 10-minute session.
*Summer and University Holidays - hours will vary.
Where Else to Get Answers
Other offices can field your questions in these areas:
- Declaring a major or minor – Contact your departmental advisor, who is your specialist in your major and/or minor programs.
- Financial aid – Contact One Stop with questions about financial aid or account holds.
- Major declaration (MDR) holds – Contact your major department to declare if you have an MDR Hold. Once we have record of that declaration, the hold will be removed.
- Major/Minor departmental (OX or OZ) holds – Contact your major/minor departments. OX or OZ holds are placed by your major/minor department and cannot be removed by your CLA/college advisor.
- Housing on or off campus – Call 612-624-2994 or visit the Housing and Residential Life website for information about living on campus or off campus,
- Internships, job-seeking help, career information – Go online to CLA Career Services, or contact them by phone at 612-624-7577.