We are proud to announce that we will be continuing the TCAB Mentor Program in a virtual format this year! The mentor program provides an experiential learning experience not otherwise available within a course; such external experience should strengthen your career readiness. The program pairs technical writing students with a member of our Technical Communication Advisory Board or alumni from our programs. Students from all Technical Writing and Communication Programs are encouraged to apply, including undergrad TWC majors, graduate students enrolled in the Technical Communication Certificate program, the Master of Science program, and RSTC students pursuing an MA or PhD.
What are the goals?
- To build relationships that enhance professional development for both mentors and mentees
- To bridge the gap between academia and industry
- To help students develop a Personal Learning Network (PLN) that contributes to personal, academic, and professional success
- To articulate clear goals for professional development
What are the commitments?
Participating in the Mentor Program requires a minimum of four connections. Two connections would be facilitated by the Writing Studies Department, and two connections would be fostered by the mentor pairs.
To participate, plan to:
- Complete this form expressing interest in the TCAB Mentor Program by November 1.
- Attend the launch event and meet your mentor.
- Connect two additional times; these could include Informational interviews, job shadowing, co-attendance at relevant conferences or events, and/or meeting to discuss student resume and job materials.
- Attend the closing event.
If you are accepted into the mentor program, it is required that you attend the virtual launch event.
Tuesday, November 10, 2020
Tuesday, March 30, 2021