How to Apply
The Master of Fine Arts (MFA) program in the Department of Art is open to highly qualified individuals who hold an undergraduate degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university.
Criteria for entrance into the MFA Program is based on:
- a portfolio review of artwork made within the past three years that demonstrates both a high level of artistic achievement and promise
- a review of past academic records that verify the applicant meets the academic standards set by the Department of Art and the University of Minnesota
- compatibility with Department of Art research interests and facilities.
The Department of Art does not require the GRE for entrance into the MFA Program though the Graduate School requires proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS) for non-native English speakers.
- The University of Minnesota Graduate School application is available at any time.
- ALL MATERIALS ARE DUE JANUARY 1ST.
- Slideroom materials are available between October 2, 2018 and January 1, 2019.
- Finalists and alternate candidates will be notified of their status in early February.
- Because finalists have until April 15th to accept offer of admission, alternates may not learn of a change in their status until this time.
- Finalists' deadline to accept Department of Art MFA program offer is April 15, 2019.
NOTE: The Department of Art is unable to offer individual feedback regarding applications both during the application process and after the review.
Application to the MFA program in the Department of Art is a two-step process. Applications are not complete until both steps in the application process are completed and submitted.
Step 1: University of Minnesota Graduate School Application
Complete the University of Minnesota graduate school application (application fee: $75 domestic/$95 international) found on the Graduate School Admissions website. The University of Minnesota application site is available prior to October 1. You may begin this part of your application at any time. Please follow the instructions when uploading transcripts and letters of recommendation. The Department of Art does not require the GRE for admittance. Address any questions regarding the Graduate School application to the Graduate School admission staff.
On the University Application form provide ONLY the following information:
- Program Selection
- Term Selection
- Biographical Information
- Personal Background
- Academic History (upload transcripts)
- Recommendation. Provide the names and contact information for three individuals who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation on your behalf. Please inform your recommenders that this is an electronic recommendation system and that they will be provided with a link to the University of Minnesota application system to submit their letter. This information is required whether your recommenders will be submitting their letters electronically or on paper. You will also be required to submit information on your referees in the Department of Art SlideRoom application form.
Step 2: Submit materials to the Department of Art
Submission of materials to the Department of Art is accepted only through SlideRoom ($10 fee). SlideRoom provides full online instructions for submitting this second part of the application. The University of Minnesota does not provide technical support for SlideRoom. If you are having difficulties with your submission, contact email@example.com. Do not contact the University of Minnesota.