Application to the MFA program in the Department of Art is a two-step process. Applications are not complete until both steps in the application process are completed and submitted.
The application deadline is January 1. Late or incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
University of Minnesota Graduate School Application ($75 – no waivers available)
- Personal Information
- Application Information
- Educational Background (Upload Transcripts)
- Legal Agent/Privacy Statement (optional)
- Three Letters of Recommendation. Provide the names and contact information for three individuals who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation on your behalf. Please inform your recommenders that this is an electronic recommendation system and that they will be provided with a link to the University of Minnesota application system to submit their letter.
Slideroom Application – Form
- Media area: Indicate medium/media of interest.
- Statement of Academic Intent: Please provide a statement of academic intent (approximately 300 words) that explains your intended goals in seeking an MFA degree.
- Artist Statement: Please provide an artist statement (approximately 300 words) that discusses your artistic practice. Please include the major ideas and themes of your work, your approach to the medium or media you employ in your artistic practice, and your artistic influences.
- Resume: Please provide an updated resume of your professional accomplishments of the past three years.
- Recommenders: Please provide the name, phone number, and email address of three individuals who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation on your behalf. Please note: You must also provide this information in the first part of this application to the University of Minnesota Graduate School.
- Education: Please list all educational experiences and degrees earned before July 2017. Format: degree, concentration/discipline, date the degree was conferred, name of school, honors awarded and cumulative GPA.
- DOVE Fellowship Eligibility: Check the "Yes" box below if you are eligible for the DOVE Fellowship (description in application).
Download a printer-friendly version of the checklist.