406 Social Sciences
Find out how to schedule an appointment.
BSE Advising and major declaration
Current and prospective students are welcome to meet with the BSE advisor to find their fit in our undergraduate programs and to stay on track for their degree plan. We also recommend that current students work closely with CLA and Career Services advisors to optimize their degree and undergraduate experience.
The Advising Calendar is located at the bottom of the GES Advising Page. BSE majors may meet with Ivan Bialostosky or with the BSE Peer Advisors, Maggie Hall and Janette Romero.
Undergraduate advising is regularly available during drop-in advising hours, by appointment, and by email. Janette Romero and Maggie Hall are our BSE peer advisors. We hold BSE drop-in peer-advising hours and coordinate BSE workshops and advising events in fall and spring. Students may declare with the Peer Advisors.
Your BSE advisor will:
- Direct you to the online BSE information session (see "declare" section)
- Help you decide if the BSE major is right for you
- Answer questions about tailoring the BSE major to your post-graduation goals
- Help you determine what courses are accepted for major credit
- Orient you to department resources
- Help you declare
- Help you refine your initial plan for meeting BSE major requirements
- Help you to keep on track for graduation
- Approve course substitutions (contact your college advisor for help with transfer course equivalencies)
- Update your APAS with approved course substitutions
- Direct you to senior project planning resources and discuss senior project options
- Address honors thesis requirements and special courses
For advising outside of the BSE program (college and liberal education requirements, transfer credits, and other APAS issues), see your CLA advisor.
The first steps in declaring your biology, society, & environment major are to watch the online BSE pre-declaration info session and to complete the required tasks. You must watch the BSE info session before meeting with a BSE advisor or completing degree-planning documents.
- Visit the geography, environment, & society (GES) moodle site to begin the pre-declaration process
- Self-enroll in the course using keycode: lemur7dog
- Complete the online BSE information session to learn about program requirements
- Complete the major declaration form and the planning matrix
- Once you have completed the pre-declaration tasks, meet with an advisor.
- Bring your major declaration form and the planning matrix.
- Declare at Peer Advising drop-ins (Maggie Hall or Janette Romero) or Ivan's drop-ins, or mid-semester you may request an appointment
We have a major declaration form example that shows you how to correctly fill out your own.
Old BSE requirements
If you declared your BSE major prior to May 2015, you are under the old BSE requirements.
See General Advising page for live calendar