406 Social Sciences
Find out how to schedule an appointment.
BSE Advising and major declaration
Current and prospective students are welcome to meet with the BSE advisor to find their fit in our undergraduate programs and to stay on track for their degree plan. We also recommend that current students work closely with CLA and Career Services advisors to optimize their degree and undergraduate experience.
The Advising Calendar is located at the bottom of the GES Advising Page. BSE majors may meet with Ivan Bialostosky or with the BSE Peer Advisors, Janette Romero, Lorena Vasquez, and Meghan Konka.
Undergraduate advising is regularly available during drop-in advising hours, by appointment, and by email. Janette Romero, Lorena Vasquez, and Meghan Konka are our BSE peer advisors. We hold BSE drop-in peer-advising hours and coordinate BSE workshops and advising events in fall and spring. Students may declare with the Peer Advisors.
Your BSE advisor will:
- Direct you to the online BSE information session (see "declare" section)
- Help you decide if the BSE major is right for you
- Answer questions about tailoring the BSE major to your post-graduation goals
- Help you determine what courses are accepted for major credit
- Orient you to department resources
- Help you declare
- Help you refine your initial plan for meeting BSE major requirements
- Help you to keep on track for graduation
- Approve course substitutions (contact your college advisor for help with transfer course equivalencies)
- Update your APAS with approved course substitutions
- Direct you to senior project planning resources and discuss senior project options
- Address honors thesis requirements and special courses
For advising outside of the BSE program (college and liberal education requirements, transfer credits, and other APAS issues), see your CLA advisor.
- Read through the BSE Major Overview Slideshow
- Complete the major declaration form
- Come to the BSE office in 406 Social Science to declare the major