406 Social Sciences
Find out how to schedule an appointment.
Current and prospective students are welcome to meet with the BSE advisor to find their fit in our undergraduate programs and to stay on track for their degree plan. We also recommend that current students work closely with CLA and Career Services advisors to optimize their degree and undergraduate experience.
The Advising Calendar is located at the bottom of the GES Advising Page. BSE majors may meet with Jeanette or the BSE Peer Advisor, Maggie
Dr. Jeanette Simmonds is the BSE undergraduate advisor. She is regularly available during drop-in advising hours, by appointment, and by email. Ana Aleman and Maggie Hall are our BSE peer advisors. We hold BSE drop-in peer-advising hours and coordinate BSE workshops and advising events in fall and spring.
Your BSE advisor will:
- Discuss the degree plan that works for you
- Determine what courses are accepted for major credit
- Orient you to department resources
- Help you declare
- Help you select your first major courses
- Keep you on track for graduation
- Approve course substitutions and petitions
- Address honors thesis requirements and special courses
- Discuss senior project options
- Help you re-declare BSE under the new major requirements (for students who declared before May 2015)
For advising outside of the BSE program (college and liberal education requirements, transfer credits, and other APAS issues), see your CLA advisor.
The first steps in declaring your biology, society, & environment major are to watch the online BSE pre-declaration info session and to complete the required tasks. You must watch the BSE info session before meeting with a BSE advisor or completing degree-planning documents.
- Visit the geography, environment, & society (GES) moodle site to begin the pre-declaration process
- Self-enroll in the course using keycode: lemur7dog
- Complete the online BSE information session to learn about program requirements
- Complete the major declaration form and the planning matrix
- Upload both documents to the moodle folder
- Include your student ID in their titles
- You don't need to upload the certificate
- Once you have completed the pre-declaration tasks, meet with an advisor. Bring your major declaration form and the planning matrix.
We have a major declaration form example that shows you how to correctly fill out your own.
Old BSE requirements
If you declared your BSE major prior to May 2015, you are under the old BSE requirements.
Temporary Advising Calendar