Advising for GES majors
Advising in the Department of Geography, Environment, and Society is offered both in person and over Zoom. For advising during the academic year, the department has a professional adviser on staff as well as one to two peer advisors. During the summer, the peers are not available.
To schedule an advising appointment, please check the advising calendar at z.umn.edu/geogappts to see what available slots there are. On the advising calendar, your will find appointments with Ivan, the departmental adviser, and Amina, the peer adviser.
If there is not a time on the calendar that works for you please email us at email@example.com so that we can find a time to fit you in.
Schedule an appointment with Ivan if:
- You are a Geography major, a geography minor, a GIS minor or wish to discuss or declare one of these majors or minors. All geography advising is done by Ivan.
- You are a BSE major and want to talk about degree planning, careers, research, semester planning, course struggles or more.
- You are a Public Health minor and you have questions about the minor.
- You are a propective student and want to talk about our major and minor offerings
- It is summer and you have any advising needs.
Schedule an appointment with Amina if:
- You want to declare the BSE major.
- You want help with course planning for next semester for the BSE major.
Our GES Advising Team
We have a great team of advisors who specialize in one or more of our major and minor programs.
When contacting an advisor, please follow these guidelines to help us serve you as effectively as possible.
- Use your UMN email
- Include your student ID number in the email
- Write your major/minor program in the subject line
423 Social Sciences (West Bank)
612 625 0133
Geography and GIS, Biology, Society, and Environment and Public Health students: Ivan has both walk-ins and appointments every week. See the calendar above for walk-ins. Schedule an appointment on Ivan's calendar. Please include your name and what you want to discuss in the description section.
BSE peer adviser