Advising for GES majors
We are currently moving to open up in person advising again. All advising appoints are available on zoom. Appointments on Wednesday mornings are available in person or on zoom. To schedule a advising appointment, please check out the advising calendar at z.umn.edu/geogappts. If you cannot find an appointment time that works for you, please email email@example.com and we will find a time that works for you
On the advising calendar, your will find appointments with Ivan, the departmental adviser, and Catie, the peer adviser.
Schedule an appointment with Ivan if:
- You are a Geography major, a geography minor, a GIS minor or wish to discuss or declare one of these majors or minors. All geography advising is done by Ivan.
- You are a BSE major and want to talk about degree planning, careers, research, semester planning, course struggles or more.
- You are a Public Health minor and you have questions about the minor.
Schedule an appointment with Catie if:
- You want to declare the BSE major.
- You want help with course planning for next semester for the BSE major.
We do not have walk in appointments at this time. Please see z.umn.edu/geogappts for available appointments.
- Urban Studies students should contact Paula Pentel for drop-ins or appointments (not listed on calendar)
- All other students should look for an advising period that is designated for their major or minor
Our GES Advising Team
We have a great team of advisors who specialize in one or more of our major and minor programs.
When contacting an advisor, please follow these guidelines to help us serve you as effectively as possible.
- Use your UMN email
- Include your student ID number in the email
- Write your major/minor program in the subject line
423 Social Sciences (West Bank)
612 625 0133
Geography and GIS, Biology, Society, and Environment and Public Health students: Ivan has both walk-ins and appointments every week. See the calendar above for walk-ins. Schedule an appointment on Ivan's calendar. Please include your name and what you want to discuss in the description section.
BSE peer adviser
BSE peer adviser
Peer advisor for GEOG and GIS