Please email to schedule
an appointment or visit
during drop-in hours.
Current and prospective students are welcome to meet with the urban studies advisor to find their fit in our undergraduate programs and to stay on track for their degree plan.
Paula Pentel is the coordinator and advisor for the urban studies program. During the academic year, she is available on a walk-in basis and by appointment; call 612-626-1626 to schedule an appointment. Meetings over the summer must be arranged by appointment.
Your urban studies advisor will:
- Offer specific information about the urban studies program
- Discuss the degree plan that works for you
- Recommend preliminary coursework
- Determine what courses are accepted for major credit
- Help you declare
- Select your first major courses
- Keep you on track for graduation
- Approve course substitutions
- Address honors thesis requirements and special courses
- Discuss senior projects with you
For advising outside of the urban studies program (college and liberal education requirements, transfer credits, and other APAS issues), see your CLA advisor.
The first step in declaring your degree in urban studies is to make an appointment with the advisor, Paula Pentel. Whether you are a first-year, transfer, or returning student, Paula will meet with you to evaluate your previous coursework, discuss major requirements, and complete the application process. Feel free to bring a copy of your graduation planner and APAS report.