The Language Center: Physically remote but still present for you
After much consideration and consultation, the Language Center staff have decided not to open Jones Hall for Fall 2020. While we greatly miss the activity of campus and in-person communication, we have successfully transitioned our services to online, and remote connection is the safest option for everyone.
Here’s how to connect with Language Center:
- Email: You can email email@example.com for TandemPlus, firstname.lastname@example.org for the Language Testing Program, the main account email@example.com for anything else, or reach out directly to the staff member of your choice.
- Testing Contact Page: The best way for students to contact the Language Testing Program is their contact form.
- Virtual Front Desk: Visit z.umn.edu/LanguageCenter to start a Zoom meeting during business hours.
- ElsieTalk: Subscribe to the ElsieTalk listserv to learn about Language Center events and opportunities.
The following services are fully online:
- Language Testing: all placement and proficiency tests are proctored remotely. See the Fall 2020 testing plan, and keep up with updates at the Testing Updates page.
- TandemPlus: the program offers virtual face-to-face exchanges, class-to-class exchanges and events. The CLIC Chinese immersion evenings are also online only. The program will support both new and continuing partnerships.
- CourseShare: the program is online only, with all classes sent and received in the Big Ten conducted via Zoom and Canvas or similar technology.
- Professional Development: we continue to partner with the Teaching Languages Online Consortium, the Language Collaboratory and academic departments to provide fully online events as well as individual consultations.
- Media and Equipment: these services are mostly online, but you can contact us if you require technology or need to transfer a film for digitization.
- Research: instructors can apply for supported research and for PACE project-related conference funding.
We are unable to provide classroom or lab-based technology, but will be pleased to discuss alternatives with you.