CLA Internship Scholarship
Internships are great way to enhance your academic experience. The CLA Internship Scholarship Program is designed to provide some financial assistance to undergraduate students participating in unpaid internships. Three times per year the College of Liberal Arts offers internship scholarships to CLA undergraduate students.
Applying for an Internship Scholarship
To apply for a CLA Internship Scholarship, you must meet the following conditions:
- Be an already-admitted, degree-seeking undergraduate student in the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Minnesota
- Be of sophomore standing or above
- Have not previously received this scholarship
- Be already engaged in an internship, or have already been accepted into an internship position that meets the following conditions:
- You are completing or will complete a minimum of 120 hours of work at the internship site
- You have been assigned a supervisor at your internship site who will verify your work hours and will help ensure that you have a good internship experience
- Your work is off-campus and not directly connected to a University department/unit or to a University faculty/staff member
- You are not receiving a salary for your internship work. Small "perks" such as occasional lunches, free tickets, parking privileges, etc., do not count as salary. Modest stipends (less than $100 total) do not count as salary either
- Both domestic and international internships qualify for this scholarship
Required Application Materials
Fall: Wednesday, September 21, 2016
Spring: Wednesday, February 1, 2017
Summer: Wednesday, May 17, 2017
Completed applications must be submitted through the CLA Undergraduate Internship Scholarship Moodle application site by 11:59 pm of the date it is due. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. A complete application includes the following:
- Application form
- Unofficial copy of your transcript(s)
- Internship scholarship essay (2 pages)
- Terms of arrangement (signed by you and site supervisor)
This is a one-time, non-renewable scholarship. You are encouraged to use the CLA Career Services office to get help with finding an internship or completing the internship scholarship application. To schedule an appointment or to get your questions answered, visit the CLA Career Services office in 411 Bruininks Hall, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 612-624-7577.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
If you're awarded one of the $2,000 scholarships, please note that the award will be considered part of your financial aid package. If you have questions about this, contact OneStop.
All applicants will automatically be considered for whichever scholarship they qualify. Below are the awards that are available:
Barbara D. and Lee Bearmon Internship Award in Jewish Ethics and Practice
This $2,000 internship scholarship is designated for CLA undergraduate students who are interested in issues of ethical behavior and leadership, and doing unpaid internships in Jewish communal, and social justice organizations. Students may take the internship for academic credit or as an extracurricular activity.
Barbara Newsome Award
This $2,000 internship scholarship is designated for CLA undergraduate students who are majoring in sociology and engaged in an unpaid internship in the community related to the field.
Barbara Newsome Liberal Arts Internship Scholarship
Open to all CLA undergraduates, this $2,000 internship scholarship supports students taking part in an internship that helps advance their knowledge in their chosen field.
CLA Alumni Award
This $2,000 internship scholarship is designated for CLA undergraduate students who are doing unpaid internships, regardless of major or field of internship.
David Fant Internship Award
This $2,000 internship scholarship is designated for CLA undergraduate students who are doing unpaid internships, regardless of major or field of internship. Preference may be given to a student interested in entrepreneurship.
Dr. Matthew Stark Civil Liberties Internship Award
This $2,000 scholarship supports students who are engaged in (unpaid) internships that reflect a civil liberties/social justice connection. Recipients will be referred to as Stark Intern Scholars.
Elden Johnson Award
This $2,000 internship scholarship is designated for CLA undergraduate students who are doing unpaid internships and are working with public archaeology, museums, or American Indian studies in some way.
Kevin J. Mossier Foundation Award
The Mossier Award is a gift from the LGBT community to support all CLA students, regardless of sexual orientation. This $2,000 scholarship supports CLA undergraduate students who are doing unpaid internships at organizations to strengthen communities in Minnesota and throughout the world.
Lawrence Scholarships in Experiential Learning
This $2,000 scholarship supports CLA undergraduate students majoring/minoring in Asian languages and literatures. The Lawrence Scholarships will primarily support summer internship experiences.