Individualized Degree Programs
16 Johnston Hall
101 Pleasant Street SE Minneapolis, MN 55455
8:00am-4:30pm, M-F (except University holidays)
The bachelor of individualized study (BIS) and the individually designed interdepartmental major (IDIM) are for College of Liberal Arts students who want to tailor their educational programs to their own interests and goals.
- The bachelor of individualized studies (BIS) is a degree program in which you combine three areas of concentration rather than have a major. One concentration may be from another University of MInnesota college (non-College of Liberal Arts), and the concentrations may be unrelated to each other.
- An individually designed interdepartmental major (IDIM) (for a bachelor of arts degree) enables you to focus on a unifying theme by combining courses from three or more CLA departments.
- Meet with an advisor to go over a rough draft of your proposal and course worksheet: February 9, 2018
- Final submission deadine: February 12, 2018. (the following final submission deadline is October 1, 2018.)
- You cannot submit a proposal if you haven't attended an information session, attended a planning session with an advisor, declared the BIS or IDIM, or reviewed a rough draft and course list with an advisor.
IDP Alumni Profiles
BIS: History of Science, Technology, and Medicine; Applied Business; European Area Studies
Tony is a Major Automotive Accounts Consultant with Call Box Sales and Marketing firm. He says his BIS degree has "helped him learn to work with a myriad of different personality types ranging from corporate fixed operations director to floor salesperson" and has allowed him to feel comfortable "wearing many hats" in his professional career.
IDIM: Globalizing and Engendering Cultural Politics and Social Justice
Kayva is a Philanthropy & Nonprofit Consultant and Artist. She says IDIM "...not only allowed me to tailor my major but challenged my interdisciplinary thinking and prepared me for the work I do in the arts, gender, and politics now. and my advisors made sure that I had support and resources to make it happen."
Kayva completed a master's degree in Arts and Public Policy from New York University, and lives in New York City and Minneapolis.