You are here

Transfer Students

Considering majoring or minoring in art?
Transferring from another institution?
Email to schedule
an appointment with our advisor!


Students must be admitted to the College of Liberal Arts before declaring a major in Art (BA or BFA). Admitted transfer students will attend an orientation prior to registering for classes, and they will meet individually with the Department of Art Coordinator of Advising and Student Services at that time.

Transfer students who are interested in applying to the BFA program prior to the start of their first semester (after being admitted to CLA) can find a Transfer BFA application here. Note: transfer students who wish to be considered for admission to the BFA before the start of their first semester must have completed a minimum of 15 credit hours in art at their previous institution(s).

Find information about the University of Minnesota transfer application process.

Credits and Degree Requirements in Art

Students interested in transferring to the University of Minnesota are invited to meet with the art Coordinator of Advising and Student Services before, during, and after applying to the University. We can accept a limited number of credits towards the art major, and all students majoring in art are required to complete at least 12 upper-division degree credits in residence at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus.

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

Many transfer students benefit from completing the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum prior to enrolling at the University of Minnesota. Students who complete this program sucessfully complete the Liberal Education requirements for the College of Liberal Arts.