Career Counseling and Drop-ins page
On This Page:
- How to Schedule an Appointment and Access Drop-in hours
- What to Expect During Your Career Counseling Appointment
CLA Career Services is ready to serve students virtually! Please schedule your appointment by visiting: clacareer.appointments.umn.edu.
Virtual Drop-ins are offered Monday - Friday: 9am - 4:30pm during the semester and finals, and Monday - Friday: 12-4:30 p.m. during winter and summer breaks: via: z.umn.edu/clacareerdropins.
Questions, concerns, accomodation needed? Call: 612-624-7577 or email email@example.com.
The University of Minnesota is closely monitoring the evolving COVID-19 situation. As the challenges presented by COVID-19 continue to change rapidly, CLA Career Services wants to ensure you that we put your safety and the safety of all in our community as the utmost importance, therefore we are ready and happy to meet your needs virtually! If you have questions about the virtual process or need an accommodation please contact our office: 612-624-7577 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule a Virtual Appointment
Peer Advisor drop-in hours are Monday-Friday 9am-4:30pm and Career Counseling Drop-in hours are Wednesday and Thursday 11am-3pm. No appointment needed, simply go to z.umn.edu/clacareerdropins and you’ll fill out a brief intake form and then get connected to a CLA Career Services staff member who will assist you. Drop-ins are typically 10-15 minutes long.
In order to connect the most quickly, please install the Zoom for Meetings Desktop App or the Zoom Mobile App. It is very easy to install! Detailed installation instructions can be found on OIT’s website here: https://it.umn.edu/zoom-login-your-umn-zoom-account. Questions, concerns, accomodation needed? Call: 612-624-7577 or email email@example.com.
Drop-in for help with:
- Resume/cover letter review
- Job & Internship search help using GoldPASS, powered by Handshake
- Resource room and career exploration guidance
- Career fair introduction practice
- And more! Drop-ins are a great place to start for any career question!
Want to get started now? Key resources:
- Learn about how my major connects with careers.
- Write a better resume.
- Find an internship.
- Get help with career exploration for my graduate degree
- Find a job.
- Learn how CLA's career classes can prepare me for success.
- Get ready to apply to graduate school.
- Meet with someone who can help me out!
- Appointments are typically 30 minutes.
- When it’s time for your appointment to begin, your career counselor will connect with you via Zoom or phone.
- During your appointment, your counselor will ask you questions to get to know you, understand your needs, and determine how they can assist you.
- Throughout the appointment, feel free to ask your counselor any questions you might have. If anything is unclear, just ask for clarification.
- During the appointment, your counselor may share a variety of online or printed resources with you.
- At the end of your appointment, you and your counselor will identify some next steps for you to work on after the appointment ends.
- If you want to schedule another appointment in the future, you can do so with the counselor before you go or via clacareer.appointments.umn.edu
Working under the framework of the CLA Career Management Model, we help students:
- Explore their academic and career options.
- Gain meaningful Experience.
- Develop the skills and tools they need to Excel after college.
What does that all look like in more specific, practical terms?
In the Explore phase we can help you:
- Explore majors and career possibilities.
- Learn more about your values, interests, identity, personality, skills, and strengths—sometimes through the use of assessments.
- Consider how you will build the Core Career Competencies during college.
- Discover career exploration and planning courses and related activities.
In the Experience phase we can help you:
- Build experience through internships, part-time jobs, service and volunteering, research, learning abroad, campus leadership, and more.
- Learn about internship opportunities and scholarships.
In the Excel phase we can help you:
- Market yourself effectively through résumés, cover letters, and personal statements.
- Prepare for interviews.
- Explore and prepare for graduate/professional school.
- Build confidence in connecting with professionals in your field through networking.
- Engage with employers through networking, employer events, and career fairs.
Learn how to effectively use GoldPASS powered by Handshake, the U of M’s comprehensive database for jobs, internships, and volunteer opportunities.
During your appointment, if you choose to write or speak about having survived sexualized violence, including rape, sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, federal and state education laws require that we must notify the U of M’s Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action office. Learn more about additional reporting, counseling, and support resources.