Scholarships & Grants
The Department of English annually awards Continuing Student Scholarships to English majors who usually have at least one year of full-time study remaining for the BA degree. The department also awards a thesis prize to summa cum laude degree candidates, as well as travel grants for students to conduct archival research, conduct interview research, or present a paper at a conference.
To be eligible for Department of English scholarships, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a formally declared English major.
- You must have completed 30, but normally not more than 75, semester credits by September 1 of the scholarship year. If you anticipate graduating "early" in December at the end of fall semester, you may apply for a one-semester scholarship (half the annual dollar amount) and include an added statement briefly explaining how you will complete your major and degree requirements during fall semester as a full-time student.
- You must plan to receive your BA in English from the UMN-Twin Cities College of Liberal Arts (CLA). If you plan to complete your undergraduate degree in a different college (e.g., the Carlson School of Management, the College of Science and Engineering, etc.), you are not eligible for these awards.
If you receive a Department of English scholarship, you must register as a declared English major in the UMN-Twin Cities College of Liberal Arts as a full-time student and complete at least 30 credits in the scholarship school year (at least 13 each semester), unless otherwise noted.
Scholarship awards will be made for the academic year. Half the amount of the total award will be paid in each semester of the academic year.
Scholarship awards are contingent on the continued availability of funds.
How to Apply for Scholarships
- Complete the common application. Read the instructions and complete the common application form for CLA Continuing Student Scholarships. You will be considered for any scholarships for which you are eligible and for which you provide the necessary information. Only complete applications will be considered.
- Submit a letter of recommendation. The scholarship committee requires a letter of recommendation from each applicant. Letters of recommendation from instructors in the Department of English are strongly encouraged for your application to be the most competitive. Please have your recommender send an email to email@example.com, Attn: Rachel Drake, attaching your letter as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf file. The deadline for receipt of letters of recommendation is 4:00 p.m., March 1, 2019.
- Submit any other required materials. Some English department scholarships require additional materials. For example, the Phelan Scholarship requires a writing sample. Please review the List of Scholarships & Awards for information about additional materials required for scholarships. These materials must also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Rachel Drake, no later than 4 p.m., March 1, 2019, to be eligible for the scholarships that require them.