Concert Band Festival
The University of Minnesota Concert Band Festival will be held on the Minneapolis campus in Ted Mann Concert Hall. This one-day, non-competitive, event offers an experience for high school concert band students and conductors to enhance their growth as ensemble musicians. Each participating concert band will experience an environment of mutual respect and all are offered the opportunity to enjoy performances from other concert ensembles throughout the day. Seven high school concert bands will participate and a performance by the University of Minnesota Wind Ensemble will be featured. It is strongly encouraged that participating bands attend the full day.
Each high school concert band is given 50 minutes on stage: 20 minutes for performance and 30 minutes for a clinic by the guest or University of Minnesota faculty clinicians. Each performance and clinic will be professionally audio and video recorded. Recordings will be available to conductors shortly after the Festival. Repertoire is selected by the conductors; three additional sets of scores for clinicians is required. Professional concert attire is encouraged.
Guest Clinician: Travis J. Cross, UCLA Herb Alpert School of Music
- Learn more about Travis J. Cross
University of Minnesota Faculty Clinicians
- Performance on the stage of Ted Mann Concert Hall
- Clinic for ensemble with guest or U of M faculty clinician
- Clinic for conductor with guest or U of M faculty clinician (optional)
- Written comments from guest or U of M faculty clinicians
- Opportunity to hear other ensembles perform and receive clinic
- Opportunity to hear U of M Wind Ensemble perform
- Audio and video recordings of performance and clinic
- Commemorative plaque signifying participation
- A full complement of large percussion equipment and a grand piano will be available
- Tour of U of M Ferguson Hall and West Bank Campus (optional, weather permitting)
- 9:00 am: Ensemble I performance and clinic (warm-up in Ferguson 85 at 8:30 am)
- 10:00 am: Ensemble II performance and clinic (warm-up in Ferguson 85 at 9:30 am)
- 11:00 am: Ensemble III performance and clinic (warm-up in Ferguson 85 at 10:30 am)
- 12:00 pm: Lunch, on own
- 1:00 pm: University of Minnesota Wind Ensemble performance
- 2:00 pm: Ensemble IV performance and clinic (warm-up in Ferguson 85 at 1:30 pm)
- 3:00pm: Ensemble V performance and clinic (warm-up in Ferguson 85 at 2:30 pm)
- 4:00 pm: Ensemble VI performance and clinic (warm-up in Ferguson 85 at 3:30 pm)
- 5:00 pm: Ensemble VII performance and clinic (warm-up in Ferguson 85 at 4:30 pm)
Concert Band Festival Registration and Fees
Participation Fee is $425.00 per ensemble. This fee covers audio and video recording, staff, and guest clinician expenses.
Concert Bands will be admitted on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration opens on Monday, October 1, 2018 and seven spots are available. Online registration ensures quick receipt and effective organization. After completing the online registration form, please send checks payable to the University of Minnesota to the address below. Invoices will be provided to each school as needed. We will update the conductors of admittance and will update this website when registration is full.
University of Minnesota School of Music
100 Ferguson Hall
2106 Fourth St. S.
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Stage Plot, Equipment, and Meal Needs
AFTER you receive confirmation of your registration, please email a stage plot to firstname.lastname@example.org and complete the equipment and meal needs form. This form will allow you to indicate how much equipment is needed and how many students will eat brunch or dinner (if you choose to dine at Middlebrook Hall). Complete this form once for each participating group.
All students and faculty are on their own for meals during the day. There are many convenient and affordable meal options on campus.