Because our programs draw many more applicants each year than the number of available openings, the Department of Psychology has established the following guidelines (please consult area webpages for additional area-specific considerations):
- A GPA of 3.0 is a minimum guideline but competitive applicants typically have higher GPAs:
- Average GPA for applicants admitted 2019-2022 = 3.79
- Median GPA for applicants admitted 2019-2022 = 3.89
- Competitive applicants often have a strong background in psychology or related fields with at least one course in statistics, psychological measurement, or research methods.
- We view favorably applicants who are well prepared to participate in research, which is the main emphasis of our program.
- We encourage applications from students who contribute to our mission to enhance inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility. Learn more about how the Department of Psychology values cultural and individual diversity and the importance of equitable access to educational opportunities.
- Our seven areas of specialization have varying requirements for the GRE General and Subject tests. For areas that require or review submitted scores, we recommend aiming for scores in the 70th percentile or higher in both the quantitative and verbal reasoning sections of the GRE General Test.
- International applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency by meeting one or more of the criteria provided on our International Applicants page. Please note that the Department of Psychology sets higher requirements than the Graduate School.
Application Assessment Criteria
Each area of specialization reviews applications using holistic methods that consider all parts of the applicant’s portfolio. Area reviews take into consideration the following criteria:
- Academic preparation
- Scholarly and professional potential
- Research experience and preparation
- Commitments to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access
- Alignment with the area’s focus and faculty expertise
- Potential for growth
- Faculty availability to accept advisees