about the MA/PhD
The MA/PhD program at the University of Minnesota is designed to prepare students who wish to obtain licensure and clinical certification in speech-language pathology while also pursing endeavors in research and scholarship. This style of program is ideal for students who wish to pursue careers in academia, a clinical path in education, as well as other clinical/research pursuits.
In order to be considered for this program:
- Apply to the MA in speech-language pathology.
- Complete a change of status request to add the PhD to the degree program during your second year of study.
- This change of status is not automatic. It requires a vote from the departmental graduate faculty for acceptance
- Students completing a thesis as part of their MA program are given preferential consideration for our doctoral programs.
- Students admitted to the MA/PhD program typically complete a master's thesis in the fall of the third year of study.
- Consult with a major advisor about the best timing of academic, clinical education, and professional credentialing requirements.