The MA/PhD program at the University of Minnesota is designed to prepare students who wish to obtain licensure and clinical certification in speech-language pathology while also pursuing endeavors in research and scholarship. This style of program is ideal for students who wish to pursue careers in academia, a clinical path in education, as well as other clinical/research pursuits.
In order to be considered for this program:
- Apply to the MA in Speech-Language Pathology. The process is the same as applying for the MA without planning to do a PhD.
- During your second year of study, apply to the PhD program.
- Acceptance is not automatic.
- Students completing a thesis as part of their MA program are given preferential consideration for our doctoral programs.
- Students admitted to the MA/PhD program typically complete a master's thesis in the fall of the third year of study.
- Consult with a major advisor about the best timing of academic, clinical education, and professional credentialing requirements.