What Can I Do With a Major In Statistics?
You can do a lot with this major! Statistics majors go on to successful careers in business, academics, industry, government, medicine, publishing, scientific research, and much more.
Statistics focuses on theories and methods of data collection, tabulation, analysis, and interpretation. Undergraduates who choose a statistics major can pursue a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Statistics. See the School of Statistics site for more information.
All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and statistics majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include:
- Strong quantitative reasoning abilities
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Analytical and logical reasoning skills
- Statistical analysis abilities
- Independent, self-motivated work ethic
- Informational management
Interest code: IRE
Internship & Job Search Websites
- National Institute of Statistical Sciences
- International Statistical Institute
- American Statistical Association
- Society of Actuaries
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized
by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there
are statistics alumni in all eight of the career fields). For more career information for statistics majors, utilize these additional resources:
- What Can I Do With This Major - Find information about common career paths, employers, and strategies for how to build experience in different career fields
- LinkedIn's Alumni Tool - Explore thousands of alumni career pathways
- GoldPASS - Explore different job, internship, and volunteer opportunities as well as career events on campus
Note: *Asterisks denote that further education and/or training is often required