Learning Abroad

Interested in learning abroad? Set up a first-step session. Check out the specific learning abroad programs in economics.

We encourage you to consider studying abroad for a portion of your undergraduate studies. Learning abroad offers rewarding cultural and educational experiences while enhancing your understanding of global contexts for economics. There are many programs and universities that are already approved by the University of Minnesota for learning abroad.

Economics Study Abroad Advisor

Tiffany Murphy

4-100A Hanson Hall


Take the first step toward studying abroad and schedule an advising appointment with the Learning Abroad Center. You can also meet with our study abroad advisor, Madhu Bhat. She can help you identify courses and programs while guiding you through the study abroad process. Economics majors are allowed to count up to two economics courses from from other institutions.

After applying and getting accepted to your learning abroad program, you need to get your individual courses pre-approved before you leave:

  • For economics courses that have already been reviewed, visit the economics undergraduate advisor to get your pre-departure form signed.
  • For economics courses that have not been previously reviewed, bring a syllabus to the economics undergraduate advisor to have the course reviewed.
  • Mathematics courses are approved by the School of Mathematics. Many mathematics courses have already been reviewed and the results are available on the College of Science & Engineering webpage on course transfer plans. Be sure to look for your school under the international course equivalency guides. If your course is not there, you should contact the School of Mathematics (127 Vincent Hall, 612-625-2004) to have your course reviewed.
  • Statistics courses are approved by the School of Statistics and many courses are in the College of Science & Engineering webpage on course transfer plans. If your statistics course is not in there, you will need to consult the School of Statistics (313 Ford Hall, 612-625-8046).
  • Courses that have already been approved for liberal education requirements are available through the Learning Abroad Center. Your college advisor may be able to help you access this information.
  • Courses for other majors or minors need to be pre-approved by the appropriate department. For example, political science courses would be pre-approved by the political science department.