Ethics of Life
Contemporary Iberian Debates
Ed. Katarzyna Beilin and William Viestenz
The contributors ask the following questions:
• What are the different rhetorical strategies employed by writers, artists, filmmakers, and activists to react to the degradation of life and climate change?
• How are urban movements using environmental issues to resist corporate privatization of the commons?
• What is the shape of Spanish debates on reproductive rights and biotechnology?
• What is the symbolic significance of the bullfighting debate and other human/animal issues in today's political turmoil in Spain?
Ethics of Life: Contemporary Iberian Debates
Katarzyna Beilin and William Viestenz
Part I. Genealogies of Ecological and Animal Rights Movements in Modern and Contemporary Iberia
1. The Environment in Literature and the Arts in Spain
Carmen Flys-Junquera and Tonia Raquejo
2. Nunca Máis: Ecological Collectivism and the Prestige Disaster
John H. Trevathan
Part II. Ecological Crisis and the Neoliberal Appropriation of Public Space
3. Tourism and Quality of Life at the End of Franco's Dictatorship
4. Die and Laugh in the Anthropocene: Disquieting Realism and Dark Humor in Biutiful and Nocilla experience
Katarzyna Olga Beilin
5. Cultivating the Square: Trash, Recycling, and the Cultural Ecology of Post-Crisis Madrid
Matthew Feinberg and Susan Larson
6. Degrowth and Ecological Economics in Twenty-First-Century Spain: Toward a Posthumanist Economy
Luis I. Prádanos
Part III. Iberian Bio-Power: Life as a Political Matter
7. Reproductive Rights in Spain: From Abortion Tourism to Reproduction Destination
Pablo de Lora
8. Mar adentro and the Question of Freedom
9. Still Different? Biotechnology, Politics, and Culture in Spain
Sainath Suryanarayanan and Katarzyna Olga Beiling
Part IV. Reassembling the Archive through the Concept of Life
10. Iberian Cultural Studies beyond the Human: Exploring the Life History of Marcos Rodríguez Pantoja in Spanish Anthropology and Popular Film
Daniel Ares López
11. The Bull Also Rises: The Political Redemption of the Beast in La pell de brau by Salvador Espriu
12. Animals in Contemporary Spanish Newspapers
13. Accounting for Violence, Counting the Dead: The Civil War and Spain's Political Present
Spain: Taking the Alternative?
Martín López-Vega and Luis Martín-Estudillo