jazz ensembles and our work,
Big Band Jazz
The University jazz ensembles play a variety of big band repertoire and perform for many events both on and off campus. Entrance is limited to traditional big band instruments: trumpet, trombone, saxophone, piano, guitar, bass, drums, and percussion. Big Band Jazz ensembles meet on the following days:
- Jazz I: Tuesday and Thursday, 3:30–5:00 p.m.
- Jazz II: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 11:15 a.m.–12:05 p.m.
Jazz combos—dedicated to playing small group jazz—consist of a rhythm section (bass, drums, piano, or guitar) and one to four other instruments, depending on balance and ability level. Combos are open to players of all instruments. Combos meet twice per week and perform several times throughout the semester. The experience level in combos varies widely, and every effort is made to match players of similar ability levels. Jazz combo ensembles meet on the following days:
- Combo I: Monday and Wednesday, 10:10–11:00 a.m.
- Combo II: Monday and Wednesday, 11:15–12:05 p.m.
- Combo III: Monday and Wednesday, 12:20–1:10 p.m.
- The American Express by Bob Brookmeyer
- Beautiful Beatrice by Adam Meckler*
- For Maria by Bob Brookmeyer
- Invitation by Bronislau Kaper (arr. Jason Fabus*)
- It’s You Or No One by Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn (arr. Nelson Devereaux*)
- The Tao of Heavy D by Rex Richardson (arr. Adam Meckler*)
- T Rex by Dean Sorenson
Learn more about jazz studies at the University of Minnesota.