2019 U of M Alumni Summer Band
What is U of M Alumni Summer Band?
A community concert band-style ensemble that performs several outdoor concerts in the Twin Cities area each summer. The band is composed of approximately 125 people, including current U of M students, alumni, and others that may or may not have previous affiliation with the U of M.
- Wednesday, May 15: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, May 22: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, May 29: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, June 5: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, June 12: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, June 19: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- St. Paul Cathedral Concert: Thursday, June 20, 7:00 pm (still tentative)
- Wednesday, July 10: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, July 17: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Roseville Concert: Thursday, July 18, 7:00 pm
- Thursday, July 23: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Northrop Concert: Thursday, July 25, 7:00 pm
The band rehearses primarily on Wednesday evenings (with a few exceptions). All rehearsals are at TCF Bank Stadium on the campus of the University of Minnesota from 6-9pm. Parking is available right outside the stadium ($4), but other parking and transit options are always utilized by our members. Rehearsals take place in the marching band suite, located at the Pope County entrance on the North side of the stadium.
The band is flexible with scheduling conflicts and asks that you try to be present at as many rehearsals as possible since it is still our intent to be able to play great music well.
Musically, a variety of repertoire is included in our concert sets, but it always includes some of the traditional U of M repertoire: Minnesota Rouser, Minnesota March, and Battle Hymn of the Republic, among others. In addition to the traditional music, we include standard concert band repertoire to fill out our concerts. If you need a little enticing, take a look at the some of the pieces we will be reading this summer – you may have enjoyed playing or hearing them at some point before!:
- Let the Light Shine! – Frank Bencriscutto
- Sun Dance – Frank Ticheli
- William Tell Overture – Giacomo Rossini
- Music from The Incredibles – Michael Giacchino
- Instant Concert – Harold Walters
- Metroplex – Robert Sheldon
- Gypsy Dance – Georges Bizet
- Across the Halfpipe – Samuel Hazo
- Hambone – Libby Larsen
- Rise Up and Shine – Frank Bencriscutto
- Summer Nights – Robert W. Smith
- Blue Tango – Leroy Anderson
- The Stars and Stripes Forever – John Philip Sousa