U of M Alumni Summer Band
What is U of M Alumni Summer Band?
A community concert band-style ensemble that performs several outdoor concerts in the Twin Cities area each summer. The band is composed of approximately 125 people, including current U of M students, alumni, and others that may or may not have previous affiliation with the U of M.
- Wednesday, May 17: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, May 24: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, May 31: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, June 7: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, June 14: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Lake Harriet Concert: Thursday, June 15, 7:30 pm
- Tuesday, June 20: Rehearsal 6-9pm
- St. Paul Cathedral Concert: Thursday, June 22, 7:00 pm Break
- Wednesday, July 12: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Tuesday, July 18: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Wednesday, July 26: Rehearsal 6-9 pm
- Northrop Concert: Thursday, July 27, 7:00 pm (still tentative)
The band rehearses primarily on Wednesday evenings (with a few exceptions). All rehearsals are at TCF Bank Stadium on the campus of the University of Minnesota from 6-9pm. Parking is available right outside the stadium ($4), but other parking and transit options are always utilized by our members. Rehearsals take place in the marching band suite, located at the Pope County entrance on the North side of the stadium.
The band is flexible with scheduling conflicts and asks that you try to be present at as many rehearsals as possible, since it is still our intent to be able to play great music well.
Musically, a variety of repertoire is included in the concert sets, but it always includes some of the traditional U of M repertoire: Minnesota Rouser, Minnesota March, and Battle Hymn of the Republic among others. In addition to the traditional music, we include standard concert band repertoire to fill out our concerts. If you need a little enticing, take a look at the some of the pieces we will be reading this summer:
- The Wizard of Oz - Harold Arlen, arr. James Barnes
- Riverdance: Finale - Bill Whelen, arr. Carl Strommen
- Into the Light - Jay Bocook
- Havendance - David Holsinger
- Salvation is Created - Pavel Tschesnokoff, arr. Bruce Houseknecht
- St. Thomas - Sonny Rollins, arr. Michael Brown
- Flight of the Falcon - Robert Thurston
- The Washington Post March - John Philip Sousa, ed. Fredrick Fennell
- Star Trek: Symphonic Suite - Roddenberry, Giacchino, Courage, arr. Jay Bocook