Licensure & Equivalency Programs

The School of Music offers the Music Education Post Baccalaureate Licensure Certificate program and the Music Therapy Non Masters Equivalency program for those students who completed a music degree with another emphasis, but are now interested in entering into one of these two fields of study. Applicants for both programs must have a completed BA, BMus, or BS in music from an accredited college/university with an overall degree GPA of at least 3.0.

Music Education Post-Baccalaureate Licensure Program

The Music Education Licensure Post-Baccalaureate Licensure Program offers either a K-12 vocal emphasis or K-12 general music emphasis. The coursework is scheduled based on a full-time schedule, and admitted applicants can qualify for financial aid and visa-sponsorship as degree-seeking students.


To be eligible for the music education post-baccalaureate licensure programs, students must have completed a music degree at an accredited college or university that includes the following minima:

  • Music Theory and Aural Skills sequence - normally at least 4 semesters.
  • Music History - A full sequence of at least two semesters of Western Art Music History from Renaissance to the present AND at least one semester of music history that focuses on genres beyond Western Art Music.
  • Applied Music - Seven semesters of intensive applied study on an instrument.
  • Ensembles - At least seven semesters of ensemble experience. At least 4 of these semesters should be large ensembles appropriate to the major. 
  • Basic Conducting - One semester of basic conducting
  • Individual courses that are used to meet the above requirements must be passed with a grade of C- or better.
  • Overall GPA must be at least 3.0
  • In exceptional cases, the Music Education/Music Therapy Division may approve completion of a few of these eligibility requirements within the program.

Admissions Requirements 

  • 2 letters of recommendation
  • 30 hours of field experience in a K-12 setting
  • Music Education entrance interview
  • Performance DVD or YouTube submission on primary instrument
  • Successful completion of the Proficiency Exam for Music Education (at the time of the music education interview): Written Skills; Oral Skills; Accompanying Skills; Song-Leading Skills; Error-Detection Skills.

How to Apply

Follow the graduate application procedures. Questions regarding the music education post-baccalaureate licensure programs may be directed to Dr. Keitha Hamann at


  • MUED 1201 Introduction to Music Education - 2 credits
  • MusA 1404 Secondary Voice (for Piano majors) OR MusA 1401 Secondary Piano (for Voice majors) - 4 credits

Music Education Requirements

N.B. The music education requirements are comprised of the music education methods courses and student teaching courses. View the degree program in the Course Catalogue.

Music Therapy Equivalency Non Masters Track

This non-degree program is comprised of 30 credits of the professional music therapy coursework required by the Certification Board for Music Therapy. Upon completion of the courses and internship in the Equivalency Non-Masters Track and receipt of Letter of Equivalency from the Director of Music Therapy, the student is eligible to sit for the Board Certification exam given by the Certification Board for Music Therapy to earn the MT-BC (Music Therapist - Board Certified) credential. As a non-degree program, applicants are ineligible for financial aid and student visa sponsorship. Tuition costs for this program are calculated at the undergraduate, per credit rate posted on OneStop. Learn more about the music therapy program at the University of Minnesota.