The following programs require an application and audition. Additionally, music education and music therapy programs require an entrance interview.
- BMus (performance, music education, music therapy)
- BA in music with applied emphasis
- Music minor (applied)
- Incoming Freshman and Transfer applicants must apply for admission to the University of Minnesota. The regular application deadline for Fall 2021 admission is January 1; the regular application deadline for Spring 2021 admission is December 1. For further clarification of the dual application decision process for the School of Music and the University, see the "Admissions Decisions" section below.
- Music Therapy Equivalency-Only applicants and currently enrolled students at the U of M - Twin Cities do not need to apply to the University.
- PSEO must apply to the U of M PSEO program when applications open in February.
STEP 2: Apply to the School of Music
November 15, 2020 - Spring 2021 application and audition deadline*
January 15, 2021 - Fall 2021 application deadline*
*All auditions for 2021 will be conducted via video recording, due by the application deadline
The School of Music Application includes:
- Online Application
Includes proposed degree plan, audition/interview date, studio instructor preferences, musical and educational history, and space to list musical accomplishments and goals.
- Two letters of recommendation (suggested)
Letters of recommendation are suggested, but not required. The application will gather the email addresses of references you wish to include and collect the letters on your behalf.
- Recorded audition
Due to Covid-19 precautions, all auditions for Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 entrance will be conducted via video recording and due at the time of application by the application deadline. Please review the recorded audition guidelines and submission instructions.
- $45 Non-refundable application fee
Applicants who meet specific financial circumstances as self-identified on their application will qualify for a fee waiver.
STEP 3: Audition and Interview
Due to Covid-19 precautions, the School of Music is moving to an all-virtual audition and interview process for Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 admission.
Recorded Auditions: All applicants of the B.Mus programs (music education, music therapy, performance), the BA Applied, and the Music Minor (applied) must submit a recorded audition with their application by the application deadline. Please review the recorded audition guidelines and submission instructions.
Music Education & Music Therapy Interviews: Students applying to the music education and music therapy programs must complete a 15-minute interview via Zoom on the with the faculty on the formal interview dates for their desired term of entry:
December 5, 2020 - remote Zoom interviews for Spring 2021 admission
January 23, 2021 & February 6, 2021 - remote Zoom interviews for Fall 2021 admission
Applicants of these programs will be asked to submit a printed copy of their responses to the Music Education/Music Therapy Interview Profile at the time of the interview. Interviews will take place between 8 am - 8 pm Central Standard Time on the formal interview date they select on their application.