How to Apply
several years are available for viewing.
1. Select Twin Cities Graduate Programs
2. Select Political Science
3. Select Program Statistics
As a globally ranked university, the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is an excellent choice for any student pursuing a doctorate in political science. The metropolitan area offers you a vibrant, culturally diverse community, while the department offers world-renowned faculty with global connections who specialize in a variety areas. You will find that it is well worth the time and energy it takes to apply to the graduate program in political science.
The Department of Political Science admits to the PhD program (master's degrees are available to students enrolled in the PhD).
All admitted students receive full funding for five years; no additional application is required.
The Department of Political Science admits to the PhD program for the fall semester only. The deadline to apply is December 15th. A master's degree is not a requirement for admission to the PhD. Note that the department receives 150-180 applicants to the program and 17% are admitted.
To apply to the PhD program, upload all matericals to the online application.
- Unofficial transcripts
- Personal Statement
- Please provide a statement outlining your immediate educational and long-range career objectives in relation to your chosen field, and a description of your research. If there is a particular faculty member with whom you wish to study, please give that person's name and explain why you want to study with that person. You may also wish to include other information, such as any undergraduate research experience, internships, or other experiences you may have had to document your preparation for advanced study in your chosen field. (unlimited word count)
- Diversity Statement
- Enrolling and graduating a diverse student body is central to the University of Minnesota's mission. Please write a statement that identifies the distinctive qualities, characteristics, and life experiences you would contribute to your graduate program and to the education of fellow students at the University of Minnesota. You may wish to include examples that address your contribution to the diversity of the student body and illustrate your motivation to succeed by setting high standards for accomplishing intellectual and other goals, overcoming obstacles to achievement, and/or helping other to gain access to the resources necessary for success. (Not to exceed one page)
- Writing sample (unlimited word count)
- GRE scores
- Three letters of recommendation
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- TOEFL or IELTS (for non-native English speakers)
Applicants do not need to submit a separate "Research Description" in the online application. This information may be included in your Personal Statement.
English Language Proficiency Information
Minimum requirements for language proficiency are HERE.
The program will accept older TOEFL, IELTS, exams that are submitted. To waive submitting any exam scores students need:
- Post-secondary coursework in : United States/Canada (except Quebec), United Kingdom/Ireland, Austrailia/New Zealand, most current and former British and US territories in the Caribbean/Central and South America
- 16 semester credits or 24 quarter credits completed within the past 2 years
- Credits must NOT be ESL courses