How to Apply
several years are available for viewing.
1. Select Twin Cities Graduate Programs
2. Select Political Science
3. Select Program Statistics
As a globally ranked university, the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities is an excellent choice for any student pursuing a doctorate in political science. The metropolitan area offers you a vibrant, culturally diverse community, while the department offers world-renowned faculty with global connections who specialize in a variety areas. You will find that it is well worth the time and energy it takes to apply to the graduate program in political science.
To apply to the PhD program, you must complete the ApplyYourself online application. All materials should be uploaded to ApplyYourself, including:
- Unofficial transcripts
- Statement #1
- Please provide a statement outlining your immediate educational and long-range career objectives in relation to your chosen field. If there is a particular faculty member with whom you wish to study, please give that person's name and explain why you want to study with that person. You may also wish to include other information, such as any undergraduate research experience, internships, or other experiences you may have had to document your preparation for advanced study in your chosen field. (unlimited word count)
- Statement #2
- Enrolling and graduating a diverse student body is central to the University of Minnesota's mission. Please write a statement that identifies the distinctive qualities, characteristics, and life experiences you would contribute to your graduate program and to the education of fellow students at the University of Minnesota. You may wish to include examples that address your contribution to the diversity of the student body and illustrate your motivation to succeed by setting high standards for accomplishing intellectual and other goals, overcoming obstacles to achievement, and/or helping other to gain access to the resources necessary for success. (Not to exceed one page)
- Writing sample (unlimited word count)
- GRE scores
- Three letters of recommendation
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- TOEFL or IELTS (for non-native English speakers)
Graduate School operational standards for English language proficiency assessment tests are here.
All admitted students receive full funding for five years; no additional application is required.
The Department of Political Science admits to the PhD program for the fall semester only.The deadline to apply is December 15th. A master's degree is not a requirement for admission to the PhD. Note that the department receives 170-200 applicants to the program and 17% are admitted.
The Department of Political Science admits only to the PhD program (master's degrees are available to students enrolled in the PhD).