The Attributes of Our CLA Voice
We're smart, studious, and driven to succeed. But that doesn't mean we're stuffy. We speak in clear, honest terms. We're relatable. We have a point of view. We're a diverse community of many backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. We're welcoming, open-minded, and approachable.
We're all about inspiring people, being forward-thinking, optimistic, positive, hopeful, confident, clear, and interesting.
We believe in empowerment, having an impact, breaking boundaries, making bold discoveries, and pushing the human race forward.
CLA Brand Values
- Pride in our strong academic reputation.
- Cultivating and celebrating diversity in all its forms.
- Forward-thinking research, innovation, and discovery.
- Providing a spectrum of opportunities for our students, faculty, staff, and the community.
- Reimagining the liberal arts for the modern world.
- Helping create thriving communities, and making a positive, lasting impact on the world.
- Tackling the tough, important issues, while never backing down from a challenge.
The CLA Voice:
- Is smart. It makes people think.
- Engages on a personal level.
- Is direct, concise, and clear. Is original, surprising, and interesting.
- Doesn't just provide answers, but inspires thought.
- Is impactful and dynamic. It communicates with energy and enthusiasm.
- Is compelling. It spurs curiosity, thought, and action.
- Is inclusive and inviting. Has depth and meaning.
The CLA Voice Is Not:
- Long, wordy sentences.
- Filled with clichés.
- Overly complex and confusing.
- Long blocks of copy.
- Overwhelming with detail or academic speak.
Effective Language Is:
Ineffective Language Is:
These shared values point us toward the characteristics that make up our tone of voice.
- BOLD/UNIQUE - We allow our passion to come through in how we communicate. We are proud of our accomplishments, and it shows in everything we say.
- DYNAMIC - We use actionable, active, dynamic language. We're positive, optimistic, excited about the future.
- PRAGMATIC - We're authentic and honest. We tell it like it is; we speak from the heart. We provide answers, but we also pose questions that get people thinking.
- SMART - We are smart but never condescending. We are confident but understanding and approachable.
- INSIGHTFUL - We engage others and create a dialogue instead of talking at them. We invite conversations whenever possible.
- DIRECT - We are instructive but not long-winded or confusing.
- INSPIRING - We're storytellers, not encyclopedias. We connect on an emotional level. We ignite excitement in others and our enthusiasm is contagious.
- CLEAR/CONCISE - We speak in an easy, casual way. We are simple but not simplistic. We have a lot to say but we say it concisely.
- INCLUSIVE - We speak in a way that creates unity rather than division. We invite people to be a part of our community and inspire them to contribute their unique position, ideas. and experiences.