Internships provide an excellent opportunity to broaden knowledge, gain employment experience and receive credits for your major. A variety of internship possibilities in local arts organizations exist, and, if your internship is unpaid, the college has opportunities to apply for financial assistance.
ARTS 3896: Internship in the Arts
Students earning credit for an internship off-campus can register for ARTS 3896. You must register for your internship during the regular registration period.
For BFA students, an internship is required. (The course ARTS 3481 Curatorial Practices also counts toward the BFA internship requirement.) BFA students who find internships can apply for a departmental internship scholarship.
For BA students, an internship is not required. BA students register for ID 3896 through the Career Services office. BA students who find unpaid internships can apply for the CLA Career Services Internship Scholarship.
Internship opportunities are often shared with art majors via email, and students can also visit the sites listed below to find an internship. Take a look at our Art Internship handout for more tips about arranging an internship.
Great places to search for internship opportunities include:
Minnesota Nonprofit Job Board
MN Artists Opportunities Page
Springboard for the Arts
The College of Liberal Arts Career Services also lists internships via their database Handshake.
Registering for ARTS 3896
Once you have an internship located, there are some steps you need to take to register for credit:
- Find a current faculty member who will be your Faculty Evaluator.
- Fill out the Internship Registration form (Google Doc) and get the signed form to the Art Senior Academic Advisor. You will need to attach documentation (one to two paragraphs) that describes the position provided by the hosting internship organization or individual, including objectives, types of activities, and the number of hours per week AND a written description (one to two paragraphs) of your goals, or what you expect to gain from the internship experience.
- The number of credits you can register for is based on hours worked: 1 credit = 45 hours minimum, 2 credits = 90 hours minimum, 3 credits = 135 hours minimum. After reviewing your internship form, the Senior Academic Advisor will provide you with a permission number and course number needed to register.
- Register your internship on the Career Services' Handshake site. Instructions for using Handshake.
Previous Internship Opportunities
CLA's Career Services has searchable data on recent internships to help you see what other students' experiences have been.
Other organizations where Art students have done internships include:
- Highpoint Center for Printmaking
- Urban Arts Academy
- Kairos Alive
- ArtReach St. Croix
- African Immigrant Services
- Caponi Art Park
- The Ordway
- American Craft Council
- Walker Art Center